Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester .350 Legend

Winchester .350 Legend

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-hunting-rifle

In Ash's above post in the Rifle/Carbine Forum, there is some exploration of the Ruger American rifle in .308, .300 Blackout, and 7.62x39 for deer, hogs, and whatnot. A perusal of Ruger's American ranch rifles show two new offerings in the new Winchester .350 Legend.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ch/models.html

I'm intrigued by the factory-threaded 16.38" barrel, use of AR magazines, and being offered with both standard and compact LOP stocks. Just about every other configuration that interests me would entail cutting down the LOP or buying a new stock or some such. This one here seems to check all of my boxes, save the unknown of a brand new cartridge:

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26985.html

I thought I was stuck on having a .308. I'm not much of a beta tester, usually finding something I like just before it is discontinued, but this may do all I would need a bolt rifle to do.

Any thoughts...or predictions....about the .350 Legend?

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...er-350-legend/

https://winchester.com/350-Legend
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The .350 Legend is designed for hunters in the states that require a straight wall cartridge. Who knows if it'll catch on or have any sort of sustainability.

I'm tempted, but I'm going to give it a few years.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to new cartridges, so take this with a grain (or many grains) of salt.

Unless you need a straight-walled cartridge for game regulations, I fail to see why someone who choose the .350 Legend over any other cartridge, including .30-30 Win and .35 Remington. The Hornday 200-grain FTX .35 Remington load has more energy at 300 yards than the .35 Legend has at 200 yards. Not that it means much as these rounds are mostly used at ranges well under 150 yards. As such, I do not see the .350 Legend as anything other than a niche offering. If you handload, you should be able to keep the rifle fed but I would not expect to find commercial ammo in ten years. And if I need a straight-walled cartridge, I would look at something more common, such as .45-70 or, the somewhat obscure, .38-55. The issue with both of those is magazines due to cartridge length. But both cartridges have passed the test of time.

The .300 BLK uses the same AR magazines and that round is going to around for the foreseeable future. If that rifle fit the bill, I would go for the .300 BLK model.

I've been looking at it.

I had a Ruger bolt rifle in .357 and I wasn't impresses. I gave up on the project after many attempts to find an accurate load. Even had Ruger rebarrel the rifle but nothing seemed to help. 350 legend could be a better cartridge, don't know. Certainly has the potential.

At first I thought a .223 case could be cut down and resized but my information says it can't be. If that had been possible I would have bought a rifle just to play with the cartridge.

I like straight wall cartridges but they can be a challenge in a rifle. Barrels/chambers seem to matter a lot more with straight wall rimless than bottleneck cartridges. I think it has something to do with headspaceing on the rim like the 30 carbine.

I think that cartridge will catch on pretty fast with the AR crowd. Bolt rifle, I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-07-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Ammunition To Go's website has a new writeup on the cartridge. More power than a 30-30 and less recoil and drop than a 45-70.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...gend-overview/
    Real guns have hammers.

All good responses. I appreciate the thoughts and the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm intrigued by the factory-threaded 16.38" barrel, use of AR magazines, and being offered with both standard and compact LOP stocks. Just about every other configuration that interests me would entail cutting down the LOP or buying a new stock or some such. This one here seems to check all of my boxes, save the unknown of a brand new cartridge:

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26985.html
    Just looking at specs in the American lineup, all of the other ranch offerings have standard LOP stocks. All of the compact models use the flush fit magazines. All of the Predator models have either 22" barrels and/or flush fit magazines, save the 26974 in .308, which has an 18" barrel and uses AI magazines, but still has the 13.75" LOP stock. The Scout or Hawkeye laminate compact run about 2x the MSRP of the Americans. Sigh. Well, it's not like I'm rushing out to the LGS tomorrow with money burning a hole in my pocket. When that time comes, I can likely find a good used rifle somewhere.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Ammunition To Go's website has a new writeup on the cartridge. More power than a 30-30 and less recoil and drop than a 45-70.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...gend-overview/
    That's kind of what had me intrigued. Supposedly equal or better than a 30/30 or .243, with less flash, blast, and recoil than either.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I handled one of the compact Ranch rifles and liked it. Living in Ohio, I may get one eventually but I've got revolvers, shotguns, and a muzzleloader that are legal deer guns so I'm hesitant to get a rifle I can really only use 9 days a year. I'd also eventually want to suppress it and I don't know what's out there for over 30 caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I handled one of the compact Ranch rifles and liked it. Living in Ohio, I may get one eventually but I've got revolvers, shotguns, and a muzzleloader that are legal deer guns so I'm hesitant to get a rifle I can really only use 9 days a year. I'd also eventually want to suppress it and I don't know what's out there for over 30 caliber.
    In that cartridge you could probably get by with a pistol suppressor. If you need a rifle-capacity can, you're much more limited. I considered one for my shorty 35 Whelen, but the only ones that would work were close to $1k or higher and heavy as hell.

Chris

This damn forum...

I am planning to get a Ruger Ranch in 300BO and probably still will.
    I had no interest in this 350 thingy until reading this. The way I understand it this would have the same mag capacity as a 223?...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List