Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Winchester .350 Legend

  1. #21
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canton GA
    I have an 18 inch 350 Legend barrel ordered. I have all the other parts to build an upper. Got some ammo ordered also - cheap FMJ to test fire, rough zero, and source of brass. Box of 180 SP for hunt. Extra Leupold VX2 3-9x40 on hand. We will see how it works.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Back when deer season was only six days a year in Ohio, .357 Max was the thinking man's pistol caliber. At one time, Hornady made a spire point .357 single shot pistol bullet, and handloaded in a Contender, it beat all others. Mike Bellm has been going on about .357 Max for a long time, and has occasionally gotten manufacturers to do runs of brass.

    .350 Legend is a rimless Max, and should work as well as the Max does. However, if you don't need a straight wall cartridge I don't know why you'd use it.
    Starline does enough runs of .357 Maximum brass to keep it more or less constantly in stock. If I was in a straightwall only zone, I would argue that the smart money would be to get a Henry Single Shot re-chambered for .357 Max (or DIY with a rented reamer), and thus take advantage of the plethora of .357 components, and the ability to use .357 Magnum and .38 Special.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    south TX
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Any more information on 350 Legend as a dedicated straight wall state hunting round appreciated.
    The cartridge was introduced in April of this year, so not much info as yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have an 18 inch 350 Legend barrel ordered. I have all the other parts to build an upper. Got some ammo ordered also - cheap FMJ to test fire, rough zero, and source of brass. Box of 180 SP for hunt. Extra Leupold VX2 3-9x40 on hand. We will see how it works.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
    (Formerly known as Sotex.)

  4. #24
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canton GA
    Christmas today - 350 Legend barrel plus a few other parts I need to build the upper arrived. A set of Lee dies arrived - and surprise - they have basic reloading data. Looks like powders that might be used in 300BO or 44 MAG. I have a bunch of 147 HP 9mm projectiles on hand to build practice loads after I shoot the basic Winchester 145 FMJ.

    350 Legend makes me think of a stretched 30 Carbine.

  5. #25
    Unsmooth Operator awp_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    DFW
    Anyone have any updates on their .350 Legend experiences? With my birthday discount at Midway I can get either a .350 or .300BO for stupid cheap and I'm debating which way to jump (or if I even really want to).
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

    Purveyor of useless knowledge and mediocre humor

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have any updates on their .350 Legend experiences? With my birthday discount at Midway I can get either a .350 or .300BO for stupid cheap and I'm debating which way to jump (or if I even really want to).
    A co-worker took a pretty good buck with one at around 200 yards. He said it went down right there. A local shop near where I hunt has sold over a half dozen so I'm hoping to hear more results.

    I'm probably going to get one before next season, but I live in Ohio where we are limited to straight wall cases. If that is not the case for you, I'd get the 300 BO.

  7. #27
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canton GA
    I took my 350 Legend upper to Ohio but only saw does so no report yet.

  8. #28
    Unsmooth Operator awp_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    DFW
    @BobM, I donít hunt anymore and if I did Texas doesnít require a straight wall cartridge but as a fan of the .357 Max Iím intrigued by an almost Max in an AR even though I have zero real world use for it. From a logistical standpoint the BO still makes more sense even though I have minimal real world use for it either.

    Thanks @ranger, too bad the hunt didnít work out.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

    Purveyor of useless knowledge and mediocre humor

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @BobM, I donít hunt anymore and if I did Texas doesnít require a straight wall cartridge but as a fan of the .357 Max Iím intrigued by an almost Max in an AR even though I have zero real world use for it. From a logistical standpoint the BO still makes more sense even though I have minimal real world use for it either.

    Thanks @ranger, too bad the hunt didnít work out.
    Upside for 357 max fans is most of the load data would translate very very well. Fair warning, a Max round will chamber but not fire in a Legend chamber. Found that out when a buddy with both was doing load work with his new Legend bolt gun.
    Last edited by jandbj; 12-13-2019 at 12:54 PM.

  10. #30
    When this thread popped back up again last night, I searched for hunting videos, and there still are not a lot of them online. Perhaps that is due to the relevant newness of the cartridge, or perhaps it is due the later (and limited) deer seasons in the Midwest; perhaps both.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •