Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Real BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by makul View Post
    Again we'll just have to agree to disagree on some things, but agree on some things.

We can go on forever. Your experience is yours and mine is mine. We take and learn from our experiences and interpret them how we see it. We have differing views that's it. I'm sure it's not the first time and certainly won't be the last.
    I’m a little skeptical that there are tons and tons of places where kids today are learning nothing but worm guard, but ultimately I appreciate Leonard Cohen level expressions of world-weary disdain.
    I need you to work in something about Millennials. Bonus points for mentioning Supernatural Survival Gear in a seemingly natural way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Do I think that most BJJ schools train on carpet or asphalt, or have regular Vale Tudo classes? Of course not, and that is irrelevant. What is relevant and is the point is that the SPIRIT of that, the willingness to do that type of training, and the willingness to fight in a manner, environment, or situation different from “normal” training does exist in most legitimate BJJ schools
    So as a new, and older BJJ white belt, it looks to me like we are all training smarter, and more sustainably. The video looks more like what I'd consider reasonable for an audit of your abilities, similar to ECQC evos, but maybe a little too "boxing-gym-meat grinder" for daily training if I'm being honest. So far in my fundamentals and intermediate classes everything has been applicable to self defense and no one has mentioned points once. Cecil's post above was actually my first introduction to the competition points system.

But I completely agree, the majority of people I train with WOULD be willing to train like that.
    Last edited by Parf; 08-05-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Parf View Post
    So as a new, and older BJJ white belt, it looks to me like we are all training smarter, and more sustainably. The video looks more like what I'd consider reasonable for an audit of your abilities, similar to ECQC evos, but maybe a little too "boxing-gym-meat grinder" for daily training if I'm being honest. So far in my fundamentals and intermediate classes everything has been applicable to self defense and no one has mentioned points once. Cecil's post above was actually my first introduction to the competition points system.

But I completely agree, the majority of people I train with WOULD be willing to train like that.

We in the BJJ world, in general, are SOOOOOO much smarter about how to train. While I am extremely happy that I went through that kind of training shown in the video throughout the 90's and into the early 2000's, I don' think it should be done that way normally - i.e. every class, every day for two hour sessions at a time.

You are totally spot on about about where it fits and comparing it to ECQC. We should do ECQC type evo level training about once a month for no more than an hour at a maximum, and maybe twice a year do the full blown thing for a weekend. More than that, unless you are a young meat eater who has no outside responsibilities and can train 5-8 hours a day everyday, will kill you.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Universal Jiu Jitsu

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum. I started BJJ in 2012. I was made/told I was going to be a Control Tactics Instructor. I knew I needed to start BJJ to be taken seriously as a coach. I was a B.B. in Hapkido and used a lot of joint locks on the job over the years. Funny thing is, the more I trained BJJ, the easier it was to get into my Hapkido-joint locks.

Back on topic, I like to train "Universal" BJJ now. BJJ that isn't self-defense or sport. Works in both fields/games. I started in MMA based BJJ at an MMA school and also cross trained Gracie Combative/GST when I started. I felt that was the only "real" way to train. At some point I just liked training and didn't care anymore. And now I mostly just train Gi (I am 49). I like how Gi slows the roll down for me. i'm not as athletic as I once was (bad knees and such).

When I started, I was under the mind-set that nogi was the only real way to train for self defense. I picked up quickly on the job people would grab my outer-vest and in Oregon, everyone is wearing fleece/coats half the year. Now I love Gi and see spider-guard and other Gi-tactics as great for self-defense. I know leniently is not duty-gear & street smart but it is fun to train.

I train MMA/BJJ based Combative/Control Tactics once a week with one or two local LEO's. That keeps my street smart tactics rust-free. I like what some on the forum have said. You don't need to always train "street wise" BJJ to know what to do. The more I train, the more I stop thinking about it.

User Tag List