Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith 19 carry comp 3 inch - anyone have experience shooting one?

Smith 19 carry comp 3 inch - anyone have experience shooting one?

Smith model 19 carry comp. My local gun shop doesn't have one in stock. The reviews I have seen are good. Even the powerport is reported to have a noticeable impact on reducing flip with heavy 357 loads. Curious if anyone here has had a chance to shoot one and, if so, if they have any feedback on how it handles, especially when shooting 357.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Smith model 19 carry comp. My local gun shop doesn't have one in stock. The reviews I have seen are good. Even the powerport is reported to have a noticeable impact on reducing flip with heavy 357 loads. Curious if anyone here has had a chance to shoot one and, if so, if they have any feedback on how it handles, especially when shooting 357.
    I have the Model 67 version and have shot SeriousStudents versions. They are great shooting revolvers. The powerport is the only type of Comp I like on a defensive handgun because the blast that comes out of the Comp is widely dispersed and not likely to cause injury to the shooter in close quarters. The adjustable sights also let you set it for your exact carry load.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have the Model 67 version and have shot SeriousStudents versions. They are great shooting revolvers. The powerport is the only type of Comp I like on a defensive handgun because the blast that comes out of the Comp is widely dispersed and not likely to cause injury to the shooter in close quarters. The adjustable sights also let you set it for your exact carry load.
    Great feedback, thanks. Did you find the comp to be generally effective for the hotter rounds?

Any recommended AIWB holsters for a 3" K-frame?
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I will qualify this by saying: to each his own.

I own a pre-lock 3" M66. I love it.

As for ported handguns, even firing a *single* round without hearing protection out of a magna ported Smith and Wesson 4" mountain gun caused me to sell the gun right away. This was a 44 magnum, 240grain factory load. Same operating pressure as a 357, maybe 6 grains more propellant. My ears rang for 30 days. The tinnitus was so bad that it was very disorienting. This was outside in the woods, wide open space, no roof, no walls, no nothing.

By comparison, if I fire a few rounds of 30-06 or 308 in a hunting situation, i.e. outdoors with no ear pro, my ears might ring for an hour or less. The times I've fired non ported 357s and 44 magnums in hunting situations has caused about the same amount of ringing for me; it's gone in an hour.

My suspicion is you'd be looking at permanent hearing damage if you fired even a single round of ported-barrel 357 inside any sort of structure.

Even federal 125gr 357's are pretty controllable out of my old 3" M66.

Just my opinion...reasonable people can differ.

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post

As for ported handguns, even firing a *single* round without hearing protection out of a magna ported Smith and Wesson 4" mountain gun caused me to sell the gun right away. This was a 44 magnum, 240grain factory load. Same operating pressure as a 357, maybe 6 grains more propellant. My ears rang for 30 days. The tinnitus was so bad that it was very disorienting. This was outside in the woods, wide open space, no roof, no walls, no nothing.

By comparison, if I fire a few rounds of 30-06 or 308 in a hunting situation, i.e. outdoors with no ear pro, my ears might ring for an hour or less. The times I've fired non ported 357s and 44 magnums in hunting situations has caused about the same amount of ringing for me; it's gone in an hour.

My suspicion is you'd be looking at permanent hearing damage if you fired even a single round of ported-barrel 357 inside any sort of structure.

This would be primarily outdoor carry, but your comments on the loudness are well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post

I have owned several Magna Port type ported Guns......and yes. The large PowerPort does not have the high velocity precise directed issues that the small port guns do. Basically, a lot coming out the top at lower blast than a bunch of small directed high velocity gases forced through very small holes. They are just different. I like the power port and with my horribly arthritic hands they help particularly with +P .38 and Magnum loads.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    My experience with S&W's "Comp" revolvers was with the L-frame version of the Carry Comp. It's my opinion the single comp chamber at the end of the barrel is not as offensive to the ears as Magna-Ports and similar barrel porting. YMMV on that one.

What I did like about the Comp was the control of muzzle rise, particularly with Magnum ammunition. The more pressure you round develops the more the comp works. It does not reduce recoil in any meaningful way but it does get you back on target faster, which in a defensive handgun is a very good thing.

As much as I dislike the current production S&Ws I am tempted by this 19 Carry Comp.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-06-2019 at 02:34 PM.

My buddy has one. He loves it. I really like it as well.

Pro's
    Great trigger
    Accurate
    Smooth
    Handles and just feels great

Cons
    The wood grips don't fit either of us so he got VZ grips
    The tritium insert is tiny and shouldn't really count as a night sight
    The bluing is meh

I'm glad I went with the 2.75" m66. The trigger isn't as nice and the action isn't as smooth but it's close and I feel I can get it better. The front sight got replaced anyways with a much better meprolite front sight.

My buddy got his at our dealer cost which I think was $980 but don't quote me. I got the 66 for $585 nib off GunBroker.

We both carry aiwb and I bet in a few weeks he'll be wishing he got the stainless gun.

I only shot his with mild .38s so don't know if the comp is worth it.

I had the fixed sight 3" 629 .44 mag and found that the power port decidedly minimized muzzle rise. I think it would do the same for heavy .357 mag loads.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My buddy has one. He loves it. I really like it as well.
    I'm glad I went with the 2.75" m66.
    We both carry aiwb and I bet in a few weeks he'll be wishing he got the stainless gun.
    Which makes me wonder why S&W didn't make a 66 Carry Comp instead. I'd think that would be get a number of people going into Fat-Kid-On-Cake mode.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List