Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving into the 3" game: Ruger GP100 3" w/ Adj. (#1751) ... how 2 carry?

Moving into the 3" game: Ruger GP100 3" w/ Adj. (#1751) ... how 2 carry?

I am looking for pointers from the revolver think tank in regards to the nuances of carrying a 3" wheel gun! I picked up a 3" GP100 a couple weeks ago. I am looking for suggestions in regards to how to carry - OWB and AIWB. Up until now, I have only carried an LCR and a 642 AIWB in both leather and kydex. I do not currently own any OWB holsters, but feel like this might be a good call for walking the property / outdoor work. So my questions include:

1.) What is the current most low profil cross draw leather holster out there? Getting on and off a tractor has me considering crossdraw as an option.

2.) Any ideas for an AIWB option? Is that feasible or am I out to lunch in your opinion?

3.) I found the NOS Pachmeyer Compacts and switched them on, but am open to other "smoother" and less sticky grip options. I found out quick that GP100 3" is a bit of a forgotten commodity re: support gear.

I wanted to be able to hop in the revolver subforum. I have really loved lurking here. I want to land on a realitic way to test drive this revolver and actually carry it. I have 500 rounds through it thus far.
    Name:  media-1559828703571-May_24_2019_8_59_PM.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  40.9 KBName:  media-1559828712843-May_24_2019_8_59_PM.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  47.9 KBName:  media-1559828723067-May_24_2019_8_59_PM.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  29.4 KB

Tony at JMCK built me an AIWB for my 3" S&W 686+

You might check to see if he builds one for your model.

I've also used a Triple K #314 leather holster AIWB with the 686+

Don't carry it often in this manner, but it was surprisingly comfortable and concealable with the right pants / belt combo and cover garment.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    What kind of tractor will you be operating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seconding JMCK. He made me a "George" that makes a 4" K-Frame vaporize under a polo shirt, AIWB. For compact rubber, it’s either the grips you have, or the OEM compact Letts style round butt that you can get from Ruger—those are my preference for a GP. @Hizzie should be along soon with GP power user tips, too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Broken record here. JMCK. Only do over I would want is to have my rig made like DB’s. I’m sure Tony can do an OWB rig as well. Original Compact Lett grips with SP101 grivory inserts are my favorite.

http://instagram.com/p/BqdR5pSn6_t/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The crossdraw rig you are considering, is it for open carry? The Gunfighters Inc “Kenai” works well and you can fit a The Wilderness speedloader pouch on the harness.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Seconding JMCK. He made me a "George" that makes a 4" K-Frame vaporize under a polo shirt, AIWB. For compact rubber, it’s either the grips you have, or the OEM compact Letts style round butt that you can get from Ruger—those are my preference for a GP. @Hizzie should be along soon with GP power user tips, too.
    This style is also available from Altamont:

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100/

In kydex I would look no further than JMCK.

In leather, You might look at the Privateer Leather site and see if anything strikes your fancy:

https://www.privateerleather.com/

If you hate waiting and want something that is in-stock now, I like Midway USA:

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...500-15-11-HA0)

The Bianchi 111 Cyclone shown ought to be a relatively decent crossdraw field holser.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Since everyone has already said JMCK and are correct to say it, I'll add that if you want OWB concealable you could go the sweet, sweet leather option and roll it in a Galco Combat Master. I had one for years and it was solid OWB for my 3 inch GP100.

Site Supporter
    I haven't used a JMCK rig for the GP-100 but I will say it is a tank IWB in my Milt Sparks VM-II. I carry my speed loaders on the strong side in the front, but maybe an appendix rig would work ok especially if you are driving around. I much prefer my lobo enhanced pancake OWB for any of my revolvers. It would also work cross draw as I use a neutral cant.

When I had my 3" GP100, I carried it in a Kramer horsehide IWB for a 4" since I had both the 3" and 4" GP100s; the holster did the double-duty well, but when I carried the 3" predominantly over time, some curvature was induced in that "spare" inch portion of the holster. Upshot is, if using leather or horsehide, go with a 3" specific for a 3" gun; if using kydex, it doesn't matter much whether it's a 3" or a 4" holster (of course, user comfort can come into play in the selection process).

I'm a huge fan of the Compact GP100 grips, both from Ruger and Altamont. You've got the latitude of molded checkering/snakeskin in the front and backstraps of the Altamont model, wile the OEM Ruger one is smooth. There are several sources for the grip inserts, such as Ruger, Altamont, Chigs, etc.

For field carry, I prefer either a tanker-style (El Paso Saddlery would be my recommendation) or Bianchi's 84R, which is the revolver variant of their ubiquitous military flap holster designed for the Beretta 92; it's exceptionally well designed with quality materials, will work with either a 3" or 4" model, and is very protective of the gun.

Similarly, a Wilderness Safepacker designed for the GP100 would work nicely, and can be carried numerous ways, both on- or off-body.

Best, Jon

User Tag List