Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Day +75 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Speaking of D-Day, it seems a bit of what I had counted as history might have been myth-making...or, if you're less charitably inclined, plain old bullshit.
    That is a fascinating read.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If you're old enough, you may remember CBS's documentary, D-Day plus 20 Years

CBS uploaded it on the 5th.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Speaking of exploding myths of Operation Overlord: DD Tanks for D Day - Operation Overlord | Breach Bang Clear
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Speaking of exploding myths of Operation Overlord: DD Tanks for D Day - Operation Overlord | Breach Bang Clear
    Interesting analysis that suggests that using the Pacific doctrine would have led to much fewer Allied causalities during the initial landings and establishment of the beachhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

I am not quite old enough, but it is fascinating now. I do find it curious that Walter Cronkite refers to "General Eisenhower", not "President Eisenhower". While the military title makes sense for the subject, he had left The White House about 3.5 years before. I assume it has to do with the fact that the proper reference would be "former President Eisenhower" as we have only one President at a time. I used to encounter former President Carter on a semi-regular basis, and I always addressed him as "Mr. President" and stood, if not already standing, when he entered a room. Once a President, always a President.

Thanks for this. I didn't see it at the time (I was 2), and my parents didn't think to DVR it.

Just watched/listened this morning while cleaning guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer81 View Post
    Thanks for this. I didn't see it at the time (I was 2), and my parents didn't think to DVR it.

Just watched/listened this morning while cleaning guns.
    You are from a rather technologically advanced family if your parents had the capability to "DVR" something in 1964, 74, 84 or even 94.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am not quite old enough, but it is fascinating now. I do find it curious that Walter Cronkite refers to "General Eisenhower", not "President Eisenhower". While the military title makes sense for the subject, he had left The White House about 3.5 years before. I assume it has to do with the fact that the proper reference would be "former President Eisenhower" as we have only one President at a time. I used to encounter former President Carter on a semi-regular basis, and I always addressed him as "Mr. President" and stood, if not already standing, when he entered a room. Once a President, always a President.
    That may have been the General's preference as to title. Theodore Roosevelt preferred to be addressed as "Colonel" after he left the White House.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    That may have been the General's preference as to title. Theodore Roosevelt preferred to be addressed as "Colonel" after he left the White House.
    I've never been in the military, but I suspect that more work goes into becoming a general than a president. (On the other hand, I've also never been president.)

User Tag List