Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J-frame grips

J-frame grips

All,

I'm looking for grips for my 642. I like the overall shape and texture of the Uncle Mike's Boot Grips that came on the gun, but I have medium/large hands and find I pinch the pad of my finger behind the trigger. I'd like to find something that'll give me a little more trigger reach, but not make the grip any longer. Everything I see with a covered backstop also seems to add space for the pinky.

Any suggestions? I've hunted around here but I'm not finding any threads right on point.

Best,

GN

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Sile grips and cut the bottoms off to make them into boots.

Or the Taurus grips.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-05-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Maybe the 405 Crimson trace grip would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sile grips and cut the bottoms off to make them into boots.
    What’s the right tool for that job? I’m thinking of a jigsaw or hacksaw with a fine blade.

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smi...und-vz-320-g10

These should be great concealment grip while giving the size needed to get the trigger reach you want.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

CWM11B
    I'll second the VZ. I have them on my daily carry 442 and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smi...und-vz-320-g10

These should be great concealment grip while giving the size needed to get the trigger reach you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Cool. I may have to try these out as well. I get the same "pinch" the OP mentioned with my 642-1. Otherwise I have no issues with the gun or the OEM rubber Hogue grips that it came from S&W with.

How are they compared to the rubber for recoil, say with something like Winchester RA38B? I've got no issue with the Hogues.
    Last edited by blues; 06-05-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    What’s the right tool for that job? I’m thinking of a jigsaw or hacksaw with a fine blade.
    Anything that cuts hard rubber. A knife, a saw, etc. Cut wide, then you can finish with sandpaper. (I still haven't found a way to cut some more back on.) I've gotten a pretty good finish with a disc sander with 80-grit paper, but go slow because it cuts fast.

The Sile grip goes around the back strap like a Hogue Centennial, but not as high up. The whole thing is not as gummy, either. It's held on like conventional stocks with a screw, so you can trim around the edges without affecting retention. Dr. House has observed that they do tend to be a little gappy, which I agree with.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Cool. I may have to try these out as well. I get the same "pinch" the OP mentioned with my 642-1. Otherwise I have no issues with the gun or the OEM rubber Hogue grips that it came from S&W with.

How are they compared to the rubber for recoil, say with something like Winchester RA38B? I've got no issue with the Hogues.
    I find them manageable with reasonable range sessions. My carry load is Gold Dot 135gr +p. Wouldn't want to run them all day, but not bad at all, even with the onset of mild arthritis in my strong hand thumb.Name:  0605191910a.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  40.4 KB
    Last edited by CWM11B; 06-05-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    How much do they lengthen the grip?

They look great and I like the possibility of getting a khaki-like color that won’t stand out as much if they aren’t buried as deeply in my pocket.

User Tag List