Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what just showed up on my doorstep

Your project is better than mine. I am restoring a 1960s-vintage Bunn "Pour-OMatic" X-16 coffee maker. When I got it, it had a nice ground fault due to a bad power cord and was covered in enough dirt and grime to have its own garden. Now I am down to why the main heating element works but the water temperature is too low. I much rather shoot my test item than pour carafe after carafe of water into it.

The real fun part is no service manual or parts list, so everything has been reverse-engineered.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Your project is better than mine. I am restoring a 1960s-vintage Bunn "Pour-OMatic" X-16 coffee maker. When I got it, it had a nice ground fault due to a bad power cord and was covered in enough dirt and grime to have its own garden. Now I am down to why the main heating element works but the water temperature is too low. I much rather shoot my test item than pour carafe after carafe of water into it.

The real fun part is no service manual or parts list, so everything has been reverse-engineered.
    Actually those projects are fun too. I love resurrecting old stuff and keeping it going.

My parents had a Bunn back in the 80s and early 90s. Like yours, the element got hot, but the water was never hot enough. It made coffee that was about the color of tea.

Chris

Good stuff. I can't speak to the coffee makers, but if you don't mind keeping this updated, I'd like to hear how that Brownells slide works with the project. Have been debating one to top off a frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeboNC View Post
    Good stuff. I can't speak to the coffee makers, but if you don't mind keeping this updated, I'd like to hear how that Brownells slide works with the project. Have been debating one to top off a frame.
    It works fine on a G19 frame. @LittleLebowski used one for his P80 build IIRC.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I used a brownells RMR cut slide for my P80. Worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeboNC View Post

Question

mtnbkr, Reference installing the frame rails. I have no experience with these kits, and wonder how the metal frame rails are installed? Would it be possible to post a photo of the rails installed in the frame?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    mtnbkr, Reference installing the frame rails. I have no experience with these kits, and wonder how the metal frame rails are installed? Would it be possible to post a photo of the rails installed in the frame?
    I can take a picture later, but it's very simple. The rails slide down into the frame vertically and are held in place by pins. In the case of the front locking block and rail section, there is one non-Glock pin in addition to the Trigger and Locking Block pins (the non-Glock pin is supplied). The rear rail section, the one that wraps around the trigger block assembly, is held in place by the factory trigger block pin (the factory pin is polymer, Polymer80 supplies a metal pin).

ETA: The front LBRS is a tight fit, it doesn't just drop in.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 06-09-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Disclaimer: My company sells these.

They are actually very easy to finish and have much better ergonomics than a standard Glock frame.

To answer the question why would you do one of these. The upgraded ergonomics on these would cost hundreds of dollars from a custom shop. I carry one for my carry gun every day and have built several. I have over 10k rounds through one of the builds with Glock like reliability.

Plus now you can do a complete build on these for less than the cost of a new Glock.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    Disclaimer: My company sells these.

They are actually very easy to finish and have much better ergonomics than a standard Glock frame.

To answer the question why would you do one of these. The upgraded ergonomics on these would cost hundreds of dollars from a custom shop. I carry one for my carry gun every day and have built several. I have over 10k rounds through one of the builds with Glock like reliability.

Plus now you can do a complete build on these for less than the cost of a new Glock.
    Thank you for the reply. I went to the website in your signature and took a look. Unless I am misreading, a P80 G17 frame is $110 (actually $109.99) shipped and complete kits are $470 shipped. My last custom frame, a G17.3 cut to G26-length, finger grooves removed, grip reduction performed, and stippling done, all from a world-class shop cost me $170, including shipping and FFL fees. I did get a pretty good deal as the regular price is much higher. So there can be a cost save if the cost of tools and one's labor is ignored.

There is also value associated with the DIY aspect, both pride in the work and a better understanding of how the pistol functions. I will consider one for competition and plinking. I still would not carry one due to the optics of using a non-serialized weapon should I become involved in a shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I went to the website in your signature and took a look. Unless I am misreading, a P80 G17 frame is $110 (actually $109.99) shipped and complete kits are $470 shipped. My last custom frame, a G17.3 cut to G26-length, finger grooves removed, grip reduction performed, and stippling done, all from a world-class shop cost me $170, including shipping and FFL fees. I did get a pretty good deal as the regular price is much higher. So there can be a cost save if the cost of tools and one's labor is ignored.

There is also value associated with the DIY aspect, both pride in the work and a better understanding of how the pistol functions. I will consider one for competition and plinking. I still would not carry one due to the optics of using a non-serialized weapon should I become involved in a shooting.
    I completely get that concern with the DIY issue. P80 also sells serialized complete frames (we don't sell those) if you really like the ergonomics but want something serialized for carry.

I also don't want to step on toes and come across as trying to advertise, but yes the kits start at that price. Basically for $480 and an hour of time you can get the better ergonomics with an RMR cut slide.
    Last edited by Rockey; 06-09-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

User Tag List