Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Custom vetting issues

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Ruger LCP Custom vetting issues

I picked up a Ruger LCP Custom a few months back. I like the size, and I can shoot it OK so far, but it's had some reliability issues.

It choked three times in a single box of Winchester White Box (packaged as Browning .380 training ammo with black cases). In two of the jams, the case mouths ended up stuck on the part of the barrel hood at the top of the chamber that extends into the cavity on the slide. It didn't seem to want to clear just by racking the slide. Both were on the second to last round in the magazine. I've messed around with an empty case and attempted to reproduce that, and a more forceful pull on the slide will get it off, as the top of the slide sweeps the top of the barrel hood all the way back.

I thought this might be due to limp wristing, and tried to reproduce it by holding the pistol as loosely as I could. Accuracy went to heck, but there were no further cycling problems. I was going to buy another box of the WWBrowning ammo to keep testing, but when I opened boxes at the LGS to inspect it, the bullets were so irregularly formed that I couldn't bring myself to pay what that stuff costs. I switched to PMC ball, which I have a bunch of on hand. Ended up with a jam in the first box, by my notes also the second to last round (#23 in the session, or 6x4-1). My recollection is that it was a double feed, two unfired rounds trying to enter the chamber, but I failed to write that down.

Total round count on the pistol stands at only 119. I feel it in my hands more when shooting the little gun, so I've limited my shooting per session. I've generally taken it to the range and put a few mags through it before moving to a full-size pistol for the main practice session.

I like the pistol for all the reasons it's popular, and this one actually has a pretty smooth trigger. The sights on the Custom are big enough to use. But these malfunctions have me puzzled and frustrated.

What is the group feeling on how to proceed? Should I just put a couple hundred more rounds through it and see what happens? It came with just one magazine. I've been reluctant to spend money on accessories for a gun that's not working well, but should I suspect the magazine and buy a couple more to try? Send it down the road before throwing more good time and money after bad?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I had great luck with my LCP, and it would even work covered in lint.

Is the mag an actual Ruger mag (power mags makes LCP mags)? Have you cleaned and lubed it?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's the mag that came with the pistol new from Ruger. The gun and magazine were thoroughly cleaned and lubed where appropriate before use.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's the mag that came with the pistol new from Ruger. The gun and magazine were thoroughly cleaned and lubed where appropriate before use.
    From reading your posts on the forum I figured you had cleaned the gun and were using a proper mag. Just wanted to double check.

Wish I could be more help, but it seems the LCP is a hit or miss thing for people. Hopefully someone with better insight can chime in.

I seem to recall others having issues initially with their lcp. Maybe it just needs a few more rounds to get broken in.

Site Supporter
    Try a recoil spring a couple of pounds heavier than th factory spring. The LCP is a clone of Kel-Tec’s P3AT, which I find to be more reliable with heavier recoil springs. Heavier magazine springs might also help, but this is less likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Ruger has gerat coustomer service, just contact them.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I bought mine used. The story was that it was returned unfired, but who knows? In the first 100 rounds I had 1-2 FTF. I can't remember what ammo that was. Since then the only malfunctions happened with starting loads of ETR powder.

My test: after six months or so of pocket carry, fire LCP with the ammo that has been in it without any special treatment (blowing off lint, etc). Then 50 rounds of ball without a problem.
    Last edited by Hambo; 01-07-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Ruger LCP's ship with two different magazines; a shiny finished one made by Mec-Gar (marked "Made in Italy") and a flat black one marked "Made in USA". I've not experienced any trouble with either one.

I buy my .380 ammo buy the case and I'm working on case #3 without a single malfunction in 5 or 6 different Gen 1 & Gen 2 pistols. If the gun doesn't work with good factory ammo like Federal, CCI, GECO, etc I would suggest you not dick with it .... send it back. The one minor issue I had with an LCP was handled promptly with a prepaid shipping label and a 1-week turnaround.

ETA:

LCP’s come with a 9 lb recoil spring. In that configuration the pistol works well with standard pressure ammunition and the gun is not rated for +P stuff.

A common fix (to increase reliability and reduce recoil) touted for the LCP is to increase the recoil spring weight up to as much as 13 pounds. That’s a 30% increase over the factory rated spring. Try that with any other pistol in your inventory and report back to us how well it increases reliability and reduces recoil.

But, out of my own curiosity I experimented with stronger recoil springs (11, 12 & 13 lbs) and found that the little gun still works when held tightly. However, when held loosely, weak-handed or when using ammo on the lower power factor scale, problems with cycling occurred. The fact that the gun will function with ANY level of reliability with that much disparity in spring weight indicates the forgiving nature of the design.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 01-07-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Ruger LCP's ship with two different magazines; a shiny finished one made by Mec-Gar (marked "Made in Italy") and a flat black one marked "Made in USA". I've not experienced any trouble with either one.

I buy my .380 ammo buy the case and I'm working on case #3 without a single malfunction in 5 or 6 different Gen 1 & Gen 2 pistols. If the gun doesn't work with good factory ammo like Federal, CCI, GECO, etc I would suggest you not dick with it .... send it back. The one minor issue I had with an LCP was handled promptly with a prepaid shipping label and a 1-week turnaround.

ETA:

LCP’s come with a 9 lb recoil spring. In that configuration the pistol works well with standard pressure ammunition and the gun is not rated for +P stuff.

A common fix (to increase reliability and reduce recoil) touted for the LCP is to increase the recoil spring weight up to as much as 13 pounds. That’s a 30% increase over the factory rated spring. Try that with any other pistol in your inventory and report back to us how well it increases reliability and reduces recoil.

But, out of my own curiosity I experimented with stronger recoil springs (11, 12 & 13 lbs) and found that the little gun still works when held tightly. However, when held loosely, weak-handed or when using ammo on the lower power factor scale, problems with cycling occurred. The fact that the gun will function with ANY level of reliability with that much disparity in spring weight indicates the forgiving nature of the design.
    I completely agree that a 4 lb. increase is crazy, but a 2 lb. increase resulted in 100% reliability in both my P-32 and P3AT. Standard in the .32 is 9 lb., so I use 11 lb. Standard in the .380 is 11 lb., so I use 13 lb. If 9 lb. is the standard in the LCP, 11 lb. would be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List