Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special “Fitz Special” from 1940

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    It would probably help the value of the ds to get the revolver’s history documented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Does Colt have the equivalent of a Jenks?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Does Colt have the equivalent of a Jenks?
    You can get a letter from colt archives that would tell you the configuration and were it was shipped.

Does your lt know any history of the ds? Was it carried by an leo, someone concerned about self defense...etc. fitz revolvers draw interest (db has me looking for a suitable revolver for a fitz) and a fitz revolver that was made for a purpose other than “bubba thinks is kool” I think would help the value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another Fitz’d DS

Name:  36E8A7F6-C6CC-4E98-B33E-D0D7B8E101D4.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  47.1 KB

Interesting grips on this one. Found pic on the Internet, no further info about it. Note modified ejector rod.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

Interesting grips on this one. Found pic on the Internet, no further info about it. Note modified ejector rod.
    What would motivate someone to shorten the ejector rod, thus making it less suitable for its intended purpose?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    What would motivate someone to shorten the ejector rod, thus making it less suitable for its intended purpose?
    If it was intended as a BUG, the owner may have thought reloading was unnecessary.

Drifting off the thread's purpose, did folks carry spare ammo when the Fitz Special was state-of-the-art?

I believe Fitzgerald carried 2 Fitz specials, 1 in each leather lined front trouser pocket. No idea about reloads.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Things Were Different Back in the Day

Here are a couple of pages from Ed McGivern's book which illustrate that:

Name:  Old Days-11.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  Old Days-21.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  29.6 KB

My recollection is that the book mentions that the MTSP was using two-seat coupes as police cars. Cross-draw holsters kept the guns away from arrestees being transported.

I wonder how much the "finger on the trigger" came from the single-action/flintlock days, when the more important question was whether or not the gun was cocked.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Here are a couple of pages from Ed McGivern's book which illustrate that:

Name:  Old Days-11.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  Old Days-21.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  29.6 KB

My recollection is that the book mentions that the MTSP was using two-seat coupes as police cars. Cross-draw holsters kept the guns away from arrestees being transported.

I wonder how much the "finger on the trigger" came from the single-action/flintlock days, when the more important question was whether or not the gun was cocked.
    Finger on the trigger comes in part from a traditional method of drawing and shooting double action revolvers wherein the trigger pull starts as the gun is being withdrawn from the holster and finishes as the gun is aligned with the target.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

That was Bob Nichols Colt. Same guy that I own his S&W version. He was a student of both Fitz and McGivern and influenced by them. Note the special Roper grips that must be felt to appreciate. The issues he corrected with my S&W was that he hated the Colt trigger for DA work, and it had an amazing action done on the S&W long action as he felt the short action was a step backwards. Also, my Nichols S&W has a better sight and full length ejector rod.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

More Fitz'd Colts

This time, a New Service and a Detective Special that got the treatment. New Service has the modified ejector rod.

Name:  Concealed-Carry-Corner-Fitz-Special-Colt-Revolvers copy.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  34.8 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List