Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliably feeding birdshot in a 1301?

Reliably feeding birdshot in a 1301?

Hey all, taking my first formal shotgun class with Rob Haught at the end of June and wanted see what everyone has used for a reliable birdshot load for the 1301. I have the Gen 1

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I have had nothing but success with this load in my Gen 1 Beretta 1301: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...-oz-7-1-2-shot

Larry usually puts it on sale when bird season comes around in the fall. I snag three cases then.

The three dram equivalent and 1 and 1/8 ounces of shot provides sufficient "oomph" to cycle the action every time, without being abusive to the shooter.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have had nothing but success with this load in my Gen 1 Beretta 1301: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...-oz-7-1-2-shot

Larry usually puts it on sale when bird season comes around in the fall. I snag three cases then.

The three dram equivalent and 1 and 1/8 ounces of shot provides sufficient "oomph" to cycle the action every time, without being abusive to the shooter.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    I’m please with this load from Rio. Ran it thru @Tom Givens’ shotgun class and @Daggaboy’s shotgun class last year. No issues with it.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-ga...mber-6-shot-tg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting phenomena that I have noticed over the years is that the weight and mass of the shooter has a lot to do with reliability. For example, a rather portly friend shoots a Remington 1100 and it never malfunctions with light field loads. But it will not always cycle for his 15 year old son who weighs over 100 pounds less. But when the kid tried some buckshot it ran just fine. Semi-autos can be finicky like that.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The only brand of birdshot I've seen giving problems in a 1301 is the cheapest Field and Stream ammo.

I've had good luck with the Winchester bulk birdshot. I tend to shoot 4's or 6's because it recoils more like buckshot and patterns tighter:

https://www.luckygunner.com/12-ga-2-...er-x-25-rounds

I typically buy it by the case from SG Ammo. Winchester's QC kind of sucks, but I've not had many problems with that ammo.

My guns are typically used as loaners in every class and so they run a wide variety of ammo. Thusfar I have not seen anything other than the F&S ammo give any consistent issues or problems.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 06-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    3/15/2016

Oils and Lotions SME
    My 1301 has run everything so far. They seem to be very ammo forgiving based on the dozens I've seen in classes.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    My 1301 has run everything so far. They seem to be very ammo forgiving based on the dozens I've seen in classes.
    I have had really good luck running the inexpensive Winchester stuff.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Awesome!! Thanks for the info guys!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The brilliance of the 1301's gas system is that it's essentially a gas pressure regulator. So it can be ported to run reliably with a lot less gas and it just vents the excess when the loads have a lot more gas. I am not personally aware of any other guns with such a system.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List