Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliably feeding birdshot in a 1301?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The brilliance of the 1301's gas system is that it's essentially a gas pressure regulator.
    I have the cousin, the Extreama, and it will cycle 3-1/2" shells and 7/8oz reloads without adjustment. Kinda amazes me, but I am easily amused

No issues here with the cheapest birdshot I can get my hands on from places like Bass Pro and Academy sports (Winchester, Estate, Federal, Remington).
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    An interesting phenomena that I have noticed over the years is that the weight and mass of the shooter has a lot to do with reliability. For example, a rather portly friend shoots a Remington 1100 and it never malfunctions with light field loads. But it will not always cycle for his 15 year old son who weighs over 100 pounds less. But when the kid tried some buckshot it ran just fine. Semi-autos can be finicky like that.
    BLUF: Guns need shooters to do their part in order to consistently cycle. All self-loading semi-automatic weapons (e.g. not revolvers) are incomplete machines without the specific participation of the shooter.

Verging into the esoteric: self-loading semi-automatic weapons are internal combustion engines running off of pelletized fuel and they require resistance from the shooter in order to properly function. If the weapon is insufficiently stabilized by the shooter's stance or grip (relative to the earth) while springs are compressing or extending parallel to the bore-line, than malfunctions may follow because of their being an insufficient relative velocity between the primary mass (e.g. receiver(s)) and the reciprocating mass (e.g. bolt).

A pistol loaded with a single round and fired while resting on a table by a string-pull is unlikely to fully extract the fired casing - or fully chamber the following round, if at all.

If you prefer to imagine it differently, remove the engine of choice from the car of choice, place it upon the garage floor, and attempt to run it through its full operating range. Altered performance may follow.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

The only issues I have had running any Semi Auto with light birdshot is when “short sticking” the gun, which you will do in Rob’s class. It would be worth having a few boxes of a heavy load or training price buckshot for the short stick stuff.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    The only issues I have had running any Semi Auto with light birdshot is when “short sticking” the gun, which you will do in Rob’s class. It would be worth having a few boxes of a heavy load or training price buckshot for the short stick stuff.
    Thanks for the heads up Dagga Boy!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    BLUF: Guns need shooters to do their part in order to consistently cycle. All self-loading semi-automatic weapons (e.g. not revolvers) are incomplete machines without the specific participation of the shooter.

Verging into the esoteric: self-loading semi-automatic weapons are internal combustion engines running off of pelletized fuel and they require resistance from the shooter in order to properly function. If the weapon is insufficiently stabilized by the shooter's stance or grip (relative to the earth) while springs are compressing or extending parallel to the bore-line, than malfunctions may follow because of their being an insufficient relative velocity between the primary mass (e.g. receiver(s)) and the reciprocating mass (e.g. bolt).

A pistol loaded with a single round and fired while resting on a table by a string-pull is unlikely to fully extract the fired casing - or fully chamber the following round, if at all.

If you prefer to imagine it differently, remove the engine of choice from the car of choice, place it upon the garage floor, and attempt to run it through its full operating range. Altered performance may follow.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List