Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new J frame, please recommend

Need a new J frame, please recommend

Hi gents, I'm still at the point of daily carrying a J-frame due to work dress environment (to recap: my options are (1) nothing, (2) off-body laptop bag carry, or J-frame in a pocket). There was a full-on SWAT, helicopter, etc manhunt last Wednesday for an armed felon fugitive with the helicopter literally circling above our office. That was another level of vigilance wakeup call.

So, all of that to say, I love everything about my current setup (no-lock 642, lasergrips, A-holster) except:

1: the barrel on this gun is so poorly indexed that shooting irons puts it almost off a silhouette at 25yds when holding center mass. I have the lasergrips zeroed so I can reliably hit a vertical 3x5 card at 25yds when using the laser, but forget it with the sights. The problem with this is that in the real world (outside in bright sun for instance) the viability of the laser for aiming is greatly reduced. I do have the front blade painted orange and I suppose I could send the gun back to Smith and see if they'd fix the barrel, but after dealing with their warranty CS with my M&P 9's a few years ago I'm not so inclined.

I do want to stay with a Smith J-frame because of the holster I already have. I just need another model. I have a very strong preference for something with hi-viz tritium sights on the gun. Something like Trijicon HD's would be ideal. I'll post a pic below of my Ameriglo sight picture on my Glock. This is my extreme preference, but at this point, I'd be ok with something that would just allow me to hit what I'm aiming at out to 25yds.

From what I've been able to research it looks like the 640 Pro checks a lot of these boxes, but it's steel frame. I definitely need the lighter weight for pocket carry. What are my options? What do I need to do to get what I want?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I think the M&P 340 has the best factory j-frame sights.

I'd vote for (and own two of) the 340PD.

Lightweight as possible, reliable, properly indexed barrel in my examples, fiberoptic front sight, likes Gold Dot short barrel .38 Special+P 135gr JHP best.

Not fast to shoot due to felt recoil, but not painful.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Sorry, I meant to edit the initial post with the sight picture I mentioned. Duplicating this would be ideal:

Food Court Apprentice

Sounds like you don't have confidence in your current J-frame. To be honest, I don't trust the QC on most of the revolvers S&W is putting out these days. If I were going to buy a new one, it would be a M&P340, although I don't find them particularly confidence inspiring either.

Find an old steel-framed gun; a Model 36/60 or 49/649. They're a little heavier, but they're much more shootable which leads to more practice. I also trust the components they're made of the and the QC from the factory much more than the newer guns.

In reading here I've seen mentioned several times the LCR as being perhaps a better gun than the Smith J's. Maybe it's time to grab an LCR in 9mm. I'd have to get a new holster, but even factoring it in it's a lot cheaper than a $700+ 340 (M&P or PD) and seems like it might be a better bet. Also gets rid of the oddball .38 SPL caliber and takes me back to just 9/5.56/12ga/.22lr in my inventory (barring hunting guns like '06 and 30-30).
    Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    In reading here I've seen mentioned several times the LCR as being perhaps a better gun than the Smith J's. Maybe it's time to grab an LCR in 9mm. I'd have to get a new holster, but even factoring it in it's a lot cheaper than a $700+ 340 (M&P or PD) and seems like it might be a better bet. Also gets rid of the oddball .38 SPL caliber and takes me back to just 9/5.56/12ga/.22lr in my inventory (barring hunting guns like '06 and 30-30).
    The 9 is built on the .357 frame so it is heavier where the .38 is a little lighter than your 642. Speed strips are also easier to conceal than moon clips (which you have to be careful not to bend).

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Also gets rid of the oddball .38 SPL caliber
    That's a phrase I never thought I would ever hear!

@ASH556:

You didn't mention a semi-auto a possibility. I'm curious what led you down the path of J-frame only? I really like my Glock 43 for pocket carry on occasion. It's about the same weight and footprint as a J-Frame and you will get the sight picture you want.

I'd throw in another possibility. J-Frame in the pocket and a full size semi-auto in off-body carry. I imagine in most situations where you need to make a 25+ yard shot, you'll have a little extra time to get the semi-auto out of your laptop bag.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    @ASH556:

You didn't mention a semi-auto a possibility. I'm curious what led you down the path of J-frame only? I really like my Glock 43 for pocket carry on occasion. It's about the same weight and footprint as a J-Frame and you will get the sight picture you want.

I'd throw in another possibility. J-Frame in the pocket and a full size semi-auto in off-body carry. I imagine in most situations where you need to make a 25+ yard shot, you'll have a little extra time to get the semi-auto out of your laptop bag.
    Here's another situation that happened at our office 2 years ago (and bear in mind that we are in a ritzy suburb of Atlanta, not anything close to sketchy): a crew of 2 perps rolls up and is breaking into cars in the parking lot. 2 employees see suspicious activity and walk out to confront and get guns pulled on them by the perps, at which point they retreat and call the cops. 25yds is about 8 parking spots wide. Not that far in the real world and a 100% valid reason to be taking that shot from the way the story was told to me. It would certainly raise suspicions if I walked out to my car every day for lunch with a bag slung. Pocketed J-frame = no issue.

On the 43 front, believe me, I wish I could. That would solve all the issues. I've tried it a few times and just found the rear of the slide to be a huge printing issue vs the rounded rear of the J-frame receiver.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List