Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First "Snub" Revolver

First "Snub" Revolver

Picked up my first "snub nosed" revolver today: a Ruger Sp101, blued model.

Hat tip to Dave Spaulding (Youtube video: link) and @azerious' thread for influencing my choice. Been considering getting a DA gun to practice trigger press, and I didn't have a revolver, so this happened. Been practicing with it for a while, and something I didn't realize about revolvers is:

They're fun!

It's nice not having to rack the slide/cock the hammer, and it is challenging (in a fun way) trying to prefect the one handed DA trigger press. It's also a good workout for the hand. Damn my hand get tired after about 20 presses.

Only thing I can't figure out yet is (as a lefty) hand positioning when unloading and loading using a HKS speedloader + A-Zoom snap caps.

Any good resources for the left handed revolver shooter?

EDIT:

Who makes a decent holster for this gun? Phlster and Darkstar Gear only offer S&W J frame or LCR holsters.
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-30-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Something else I'm having to figure out is how to go from muzzle up (unloading) to muzzle down (loading) without muzzling the folks on my right or adding unnessicary movement.
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-01-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Something else I'm having to figure out is how to go from muzzle up (unloading) to muzzle down (loading) without muzzling the folks on my right or adding unnecessary movement.
    practice.

As a left handed person who shoots revolvers and loves his SP 101. Learn to use your trigger finger to press the cylinder release in and push the cylinder out with your right hand fingers. Point firearm straight up toward the sky and using your left hand palm strike the ejector rod sharply. After cases fall out point your weapon using your right hand straight south and with the left hand grab your speedloader from your left side of belt and insert cartridges in cylinder. Twist the HKS speeloader knob close cylinder with left hand and regrasp the grip with a firing grip. Raise weapon to eye level and engage as needed.

You tube might help you out.

Thanks @Zeke38

I know a Zeke... You, by chance, a machinist? I did go on YouTube, but the videos I saw had the shooter switching hands or stuffing it in their pants.

After I made this post I practiced more. I got the SHO DA trigger press down : it was my pinky. It seems levering the grip into the palm real hard helps. I also imagine a line on the trigger, running down the middle vertically. My trigger finger puts the weight of the pull on the center of that line, and roooolllllls the weight down from top to bottom of that trigger staying on that centerline. I thought I had it when I was focusing the weight on the bottom of the trigger, but that leaves me with a slightly elevated front sight.

Loading is still something I'm working on. I think I got it figured out, but I need to test it with spent brass. The snap caps just fall right out without even pressing the ejector rod, so what works with A-Zooms might not work with spent brass. My procedure is like this (I'll try to take cell phone video if I can get a buddy to assist in holding the camera)

From firing grip, cant gun slightly to right (from 90 degrees to ~70 degrees) and use the trigger finger to press the cylinder release button. The thumb of the firing hand comes up and pops out the cylinder.

At this point, you rotate the gun from that downrange 70 degree to muzzle up. Place the firing hand thumb on the breechface (or whatever they call the area the firing pin comes out of) while the trigger finger comes over the top of the frame and hammer and rests on or just above the cylinder latch. Your hand/fingers look sorta like a deformed "F" in sign language. The upper half of the grip is resting on your cupped palm. Ejector rod pressed and pressed again. The fingers in that American Sign Language "F" is important, if your fingers are curled on the grip you'll get raked by the extractor star/jam up the brass. Keep the fingers straight.

Here's the part where I would muzzle people on my right (if I had been on the range) - the transition from muzzle up to muzzle down. Just have to remember to go muzzle up, downrange, then ground. Not muzzle up, arch to the right and ground.

Here you have an upright revolver, your fingers in a pinched "F" with your thumb on the breechface. Rotate your hand so you've started the downrange muzzle transition while rolling your thumb off the gun. Use gravity to help you shift the gun (and finger flexibility) to help you reacquire the firing grip. The finger that was hooked on the hammer moves to the inside of the frame towards the breechface. Then once you have a proper grip, trigger finger goes up over the cylinder onto the rear sight. Point downwards, grab the HKS speedloader.

Insert the cartridges into the cylinder, take the speedloader hand's pinky and place it on the face of the cylinder to hold it in place. Ideally place your pinky in a chamber (from the front) to really hold it in place. Do the twisty, dropping the cartridges, and close the cylinder.

I hope all that made sense. It's hard to explain what you're doing in written word. This reload method is weak - it's not "combat robust", but it's a start. It's also probably very specific to my hand/finger size & flexibility.

EDIT: in italics, adding more detail.
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.

JM Custom Kydex has SP101 models too. I much prefer Jet Loaders or Safariland to anything twisty.

http://instagram.com/p/Bm4gObsHjgM/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Those are really nice! I like the blued SP101s a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Picked up my first "snub nosed" revolver today: a Ruger Sp101, blued model.

Who makes a decent holster for this gun? Phlster and Darkstar Gear only offer S&W J frame or LCR holsters.
    What kind of holster are you looking for? In kydex, JM and CCC make them. Several leather outfits like Privateer Leather.

If you want something in stock:

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...54-155-11-HA0)
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

High noon hideaway. I’ve got my SP101 on in that right now. Very comfortable. Doesn’t tuck the grip like a JMCK but it’s not really necessary with the SP101.

User Tag List