Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-shot gun again

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    TGS,
    I like your post, and concur, but I take issue with the one sentence I bolded above.
    That itself is an assumption which may be true of the majority, but is not necessarily a universal truth. I am specifically thinking of fit issues is which a double stack auto may be too large for a particular individual's hand,and that revolver grips can be tailored to an individual's hand better than a auto's can.
    When I broke my hand I had to carry left handed. I sucked fairly equally with all of my options. Once I had the new hardware in my hand and was doing physical therapy I was measurably better with a GP-100 than with a Glock 22*. My grip strength and dexterity were still limited and my fingers didn't move in the ways they used to. I found the rubbery grip and plow handle shape to be significantly easier to manage during that time.

*clarification: I mean once I could use my right hand again. I still sucked with everything left handed.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 06-04-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Just popped a tendon in my shoulder. Surgery scheduled within the week. Can't use my strong hand as that is the side the tendon is popped. Doc says at least a four week minimum in trx and no strong hand stuff.

I'm a Kimber k6s carrier but I think I'm going to break out a Kahr K9 for the ease and smoothness of pull for the weak hand hiatus. Hitting the range with the K9 and the K6 on Thursday to see who wins the weak hand shootout.

PS: Let's not forget reloads, strong hand does not have the ability to grasp and twist,

Site Supporter
    I have just started to carry my Glock again, after my back going nuts due to spinal stenosis. That has abated. For the bad time, I had a SW 432 with two speed strips for an EDC. I didn't feel helpless but I do prefer the semi and one extra mag paradigm. However, to be competent with the J's, I took Claude's class and shoot them periodically. This weekend, I'm going to shoot two J's in the local IDPA match with a self-defense orientation - if I manage to get up on time.

It's not that hard to shoot reasonably well at the normal (so to speak) one mugger or two classic scenario. So my choice is from experience with the guns in training and competition. I suggest, in hubris, that serious J frame proponents drop the 5 is enough mantra and give them a run in training and/or competition.

I do shoot the Glocks or my 1911 better, I think. I found the 1911 just too big. I got through a match with only 3 points down with the 1911 recently. Slow times as I move on Old Fart Relativity Theory speeds. The 1911 is just a touch big for EDC, but that's me and my body.

Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    TGS,
    I like your post, and concur, but I take issue with the one sentence I bolded above.
    That itself is an assumption which may be true of the majority, but is not necessarily a universal truth. I am specifically thinking of fit issues is which a double stack auto may be too large for a particular individual's hand,and that revolver grips can be tailored to an individual's hand better than a auto's can.
    I think someone can always find a special niche situation where a specific type of gun or specific mode of carry is better than convention, and that should be assumed without needing to be pointed out.

Communicating simple ideas would become tedious if we spent our time writing out obvious qualifiers and exceptions to every statement on this website.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Carrying a small revolver is gambling that your DGU is going to look more like a shooting and less like a gunfight. Personally I'm pretty okay with that risk assessment most of the time, based on the LCR that finds its way into my pants more than a full size gun ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think someone can always find a special niche situation where a specific type of gun or specific mode of carry is better than convention, and that should be assumed without needing to be pointed out.

Communicating simple ideas would become tedious if we spent our time writing out obvious qualifiers and exceptions to every statement on this website.
    I will admit to having an almost knee-jerk reaction to absolutes. "Always" and "never" are rarely accurate, regardless of the argument.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

About twenty years ago, my wife and I went to Eastern Tennessee over the Thanksgiving Holiday, on a rock climbing trip. We were camped along a river, in a park, when middle of the night we got woken up by rifle shots. I had brought a J frame only on the trip. At that moment, I felt like I had made a big mistake, and pretty much swore off J frames as primary ever since.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    . . . your DGU is going to look more like a shooting and less like a gunfight.
    Insightful simile. Puts a little different light on the issue.

Thoughts on revolvers and semi auto pistols

Thoughts on revolvers and semi auto pistols

Enclosed hammer snubbies 340 etc... work very well for:
    front pants pocket & ankle carry. Round contours do not print as much like a gun.
    entangled gunfights.

High capacity service autos are good for:
    belt guns, more ammo before reloading is necessary,
    using when only 1 hand is working, more ammo before reloading is necessary, reloading 1 handed is easier,
    easier to clean debris out of (Ruger revolvers may be the exception to this).

Big revolvers, .44 Magnum and up are good for:
    stopping large animals.

GJM / HK USP & .45 Super may have changed the stopping large animals category

Probably should take into account where most of the ammo R&D improvement has been in the last 10 years or so.
    In calibers that are inherent to semi's.
    I don't think the GOV has bought much 38 Special lately.

User Tag List