Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5-shot gun again

Site Supporter
    I just wanted to follow up on the idea that pistols are more likely to malfunction with a compromised hold. Looking back over my experience I found an example of this. During the live fire portion of ECQC I had a malfunction with my G19Gen4 while shooting from the pectoral retention. I’m pretty sure it was due to my grip and over extending my thumb. If I got in a situation where I had to shoot without the full use of my thumb I’d be more confident in a revolver. Of course that goes to the idea we don’t know what a gunfight will look like and carrying a revolver just in case my thumb is injured seems a bit silly.

99% of the times I carry a revolver it is in a pocket because I’m lounging around the house or dressing where I can’t carry appendix. I think the article is correct that shooter skill and mindset trumps fancy gear but mission drives the gear train. Unless I’m limited to not carrying a pistol (unable to carry AIWB) I’m not going to limit myself to five shots, crappy sights, and a slower reload.

I do agree with BBI’s that for someone who isn’t willing to put in the practice to learn the nuances of a pistol (malfunctions, how to properly unload, maintenance) a DA revolver makes a lot of sense.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, a handgun bullet that increases in diameter due to expansion doesn't make a larger permanent wound cavity?
    It may not be a huge difference, but if I'm waiting for someone to bleed out so the hostilities cease, any fractional advantage is a plus.
    How fast someone bleeds out is a factor of what's hit, not hole size. Think of the body as a network of hoses wrapped in a sponge. Big holes in the sponge don't result in much leakage, you have to hit a hose and the bigger the hose the better. Blood loss undeniably reduces ability, but frankly there's very few scenarios were small differences in bleeding out matter. They are fleeing, have expended all of their ammunition (as their rate of fire resembles a sewing machine once excited) and then are fleeing, have taken a subsequent more effective hit, or otherwise out of the fight. The dedicated gunman can take a round to the heart and still have time to empty their pistol. Ptl. Bradway was ambushed in a doorway, took a .380 to the heart, and while it was a non-survivable injury he was able to turn, find his shooter, and put effective rounds on him prior to collapsing. I'm going from memory, but I think he fired around 9 shots.

The majority of handgun stops are psychological, even those that later prove lethal. The injured person could, physically, still continue to fight for some time frame but doesn't. There's not a lot of Ptl. Bradway types out there. Especially in the "random attacker" demographic.

That's not to say there's zero advantage and zero situtations expansion may make a difference. Just that it's pretty minor. As one of the earlier ballistics textbooks I own puts it "There is nothing inherently more lethal in an expanding bullet..." The bigger benefit is barrier blindness. I'm fine with non-expanding rounds in a rural/woodsy environment
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So 148 grain wadcutters out of a J frame sized revolver >or = HST or G2 out of a G26 or G19? Not quite sure why you would settle for just penetration when you also have expansion for a better wound channel.
    It takes a lot of skill to run a J frame effectively, especially at speed. I'm talking Bolke and Dobbs type skill level.

A lot of folks get married to ideas, and then spend a lot time of seeking validation for those same ideas.
    Myself included. I was a huge J frame fan, until I discovered that my 3" K frame fit and carried just as well. And was much easier to shoot, plus, BONUS TIME; opened up a better selection of ammo choices, with an extra round to boot.
    Problem is, my G19 and G26 fit anywhere my 3" K Frame did, with even better ammo choices and more capacity.

Unless of course, the FBI is getting ready to dump all those G19M's, and go back to 38 revolvers. In which case the ammo manufactures will be sure to start shoveling money and resources at that caliber to ensure they can get the Fed bid. Like it or not, 9mm is the hotness, and will be the most likely to get that money and resources.
    I think that is a far cry from a bunch of "dancing angels"
    Revolvers, especially little ones, have a very neat little u-shaped utility curve that allows them to fill some very particular niches that cannot be filled as well with a semi-automatic pistol. For example, I have yet to find a semi-auto I can wear while I run. I can wear a 351PD while I run like it's not even there.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Revolvers, especially little ones, have a very neat little u-shaped utility curve that allows them to fill some very particular niches that cannot be filled as well with a semi-automatic pistol. For example, I have yet to find a semi-auto I can wear while I run. I can wear a 351PD while I run like it's not even there.
    I can carry a Shield using the "large" version of this: https://www.elitesurvival.com/concea...athon-gunpack/

It is comfortable, but I'm also slow. The shape is not conducive to a revolver, though, it definitely wants a flat pistol. Else I'd probably have stuck with the LCR for jogging carry.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can carry a Shield using the "large" version of this: https://www.elitesurvival.com/concea...athon-gunpack/

It is comfortable, but I'm also slow. The shape is not conducive to a revolver, though, it definitely wants a flat pistol. Else I'd probably have stuck with the LCR for jogging carry.
    Okay, that thing looks like it would work very well, but I'm not ready yet for the runner's chastity belt. I like that I can throw my little unobtanium .22 Mag in a DSG holster and drop that into board shorts without a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

That might be the ticket. Looks pretty stable. I might just use my cw9 if I have too.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That might be the ticket. Looks pretty stable. I might just use my cw9 if I have too.
    PSA if you sweat all over a CW9. Pay attention to and clean/oil the trigger area regularly. A number of the internal trigger pieces are blued steel and will rust. Ask me how I know.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    PSA if you sweat all over a CW9. Pay attention to and clean/oil the trigger area regularly. A number of the internal trigger pieces are blued steel and will rust. Ask me how I know.
    Lol, thanks. Yeah I already know. I used to use the nylon galco holster with the steel clip and elastic for the spare mag to run with. Not horrible with running short string. The stainless slide would rust if not wiped down every day and the magazines rust like crazy too.

^^
    I didn't have any issues with the slide or magazines, but the internals of the trigger area got rusty/gummy enough to prevent the trigger from returning under spring pressure. A good cleaning fixed it right up, but I now pay particular attention to that area. No issues since.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-13-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I’ve always looked at small revolvers as risk assessment and pocket carry guns. Life is about risk assessment and it’s part of what we do on a daily basis, from driving fast, powering through a yellow light or calculating the need for heavy artillery when we leave the house.

Nothing carries like a revolver in a pocket. There are always trade-offs in risk assessment, and the odds of an outlier is definitely not 0.

Revolvers are a great tool for those who don’t train and maintain their gun. Chances are it will work fine 10 years after being stuffed in the sock drawer. Small revolvers are also very hard to disarm and I’ve deliberately selected them working undercover at bad breath ranges, and been glad I did.

I’d much rather see someone drop an airweight in their pocket than leave a G19 at home.

For me now, I rarely pocket carry anymore. The new small semiautos like the G42/43 and Walther PPSM2 have definitely cut into small revolver popularity. I’ve personally moved to the G42 and Walther PPSM2 for my baby guns, but a small revolver still punches well above it’s weight.

User Tag List