Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Light gun plus a 20 oz can equals a heavier gun... I’d go with the lightest weight Leupold variable you like. The 1.5x4 ones are surprisingly good values with low weight. Depending on ranges you shoot at, the 2.5x & 4x fixed power ones are super light too. Keep the kiddos in mind when considering all up weight.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That 2.5-8x36 is definitely a sweet spot. Nothing wrong with having a couple of them.

You made the right choice on rifles. .300BO loads can easily be duplicated in a .308 case if you hand load, but .308 loads cannot be duplicated in a .300BO case.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

With the can on the end of the barrel, you will see a fair amount of barrel and can through a low power optic. Not sure if that bothers you. You might find the 2-7 or the 3-9 is more useful in that regard and then a 1-5.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Glad to see you back, ASH. Hope all is well.

I, too, found my way to a Tikka, albeit with different job requirements than yours. Great rifles and I think you'll be very happy. Chris from Lucky Gunner created a video that I *think* might mirror what you're wanting. (I'm fucking dumb and don't know how to imbed things so a YouTube link will have to suffice.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7N8hLI2yM

I believe he even mounted a Leupold scope on the specimen in the video. Hope that helps and good luck with your new long gun. Cheers!

Thanks for all the input gents. I'm getting a Leupold VXR 2-7x33 Firedot #4 from a member here for a great price. Just ordered a pair of Talley Extra Low 30mm rings for it to sit in. Should be all set now.

@Lost River : if you check in, would you mind telling me a little bit about the sling setup on your compact T3? I don't do a lot of positional shooting slung, so I care less about having a ching sling, but more about being able to sling the gun tight to the body muzzle down (see suppressor = muzzle weight) for hands-on tasks.

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Check out this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Question/page3

I'm not a fan of the Talleys because you can't remove the scope without having to completely redo the installation.

Also, just to note its existence for others, there is this.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod128726.aspx

When they have 10% off everything or other comparable sales, the price will get more reasonable. Just wish it was a light or midweight barrel, but then you may need some additional doohickey for a can mount to butt against.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-06-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thanks for all the input gents. I'm getting a Leupold VXR 2-7x33 Firedot #4 from a member here for a great price. Just ordered a pair of Talley Extra Low 30mm rings for it to sit in. Should be all set now.

@Lost River : if you check in, would you mind telling me a little bit about the sling setup on your compact T3? I don't do a lot of positional shooting slung, so I care less about having a ching sling, but more about being able to sling the gun tight to the body muzzle down (see suppressor = muzzle weight) for hands-on tasks.

Thanks!

The VX-R 2-7 is a great choice. Should pair really well with the T3 Lite Compact, doing what you want to do while keeping the excellent weight and handling of that rifle.

Take a look at the Wilderness Langlois Rhodesian Sling. It will do what you're looking for in terms of a carry sling while offering some tensioned shooting capabilities for positional stuff. The price is right too, at $29.95.

@LGChris does a great job of showing the sling's capabilities in his video 'Rethinking the Scout Rifle... Again', which happens to feature a rifle much like the one you just purchased. I picked up this sling for my CTR, based on what I saw in this video, and I've been really happy with it.

Last edited by StraitR; 06-06-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The Ruger Ranch in .300BLK will run around $450 for the version that accepts AR mags. It comes threaded.

If I didn’t already have a .300 BLK AR, I would have snatched up one of these.

Many of the other American models can be swapped to a Magpul stock which then converts them to using the Magpul mags.
    Chief, I have a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. I'm doing a Form 1 on it, reducing the barrel to 9.75 inches, which lets me shave down the Magpul stock just a bit. I've got a Rugged can for it, and some Nikon glass I practically stole.

It takes DTA mags now, and they work much better than the Ruger factory ones.

CDNN had the rifles on sale for $300, which made it a no-brainer for a hog slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Chief, I have a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. I'm doing a Form 1 on it, reducing the barrel to 9.75 inches, which lets me shave down the Magpul stock just a bit. I've got a Rugged can for it, and some Nikon glass I practically stole.

CDNN had the rifles on sale for $300, which made it a no-brainer for a hog slayer.
    That sounds Uber cool!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

You must have the model that doesn’t accept AR mags.

I took out a hog recently at about 40 yards or so with an AR in .300; right through the shoulders DRT.

A buddy who teaches long range shooting for an outfitter out in West Texas and Utah tells me that the .300BLK isn’t giving him the range that he needs, and he’s switching to 6.5 Grendel. He just took out a massive hog at 400 yards with one.
    Last edited by jlw; 06-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List