Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    .308 or .300 blackout (slight nod to the .308 as I already have ammo on-hand).
    Compact (mostly so it's not a musket when I put the 7" AAC SDN-6 on the end of it)
    Hunting rifle for kids (see suppressor) and me when I feel like it.

Budget = $500ish, used is fine if possible

Looking at the Ruger American Predator right now as the front runner.

Any thoughts one way or the other on caliber or other recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'm not aware of a threaded barrel compact stock rifle in .308 that's under $500. If so, everything will either need to be threaded or have the stock cut/changed. If you are truly ok withe "Compact-ish", then the Ruger American Predator (SKU 26974) is a good choice.

Another option would be a standard Ruger American Compact model in .308 (SKU 6907), then have it cut and threaded. This would be lighter than the Predator due to the thinner barrel diameter, as well as shorter OAL due to compact stock and barrel cut to 16". That would be the best way to get a truly compact .308 with threaded barrel.
    All Ruger Americans are not the same, re: magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26974.html

This particular predator model (listed above by StraitR) uses AI pattern magazines with 3/5/10 round poly mags available from Ruger, and 5/10 round ones from Magpul. It's 18" barrel is also threaded from the factory at 5/8-24. Ruger's muzzle brake for the GSR will also fit in place of a can, if you so desire. The compact stock can be purchased from Ruger. assuming magazine compatibility is not an issue. I assume the existing stock could be cut down as well.

http://shopruger.com/Muzzle-Brake-30...uctinfo/90602/
    http://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-...uctinfo/90537/

Actually I think I may have just found the answer: Tikka T3 Lite Compact, cut to 16” and threaded 5/8x24. Guy has it for $450 unfired.
    I doubt you will find a better deal than that!
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-04-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Actually I think I may have just found the answer: Tikka T3 Lite Compact, cut to 16” and threaded 5/8x24. Guy has it for $450 unfired.
    Missed this. If you wouldn't have mentioned the $500 budget goal, that would have been my suggestion. I'm guessing it would have been suggested by more than a few. Love my CTR. You can't go wrong with Tikka.

I bought a used Ruger American in .300BO last fall as a bolt gun for the kids. We have a couple ARs including an sbr in .300BO and I enjoy hunting with the cartridge. I wrestled with buying the AR mag version but in the end got a smoking deal on a used standard mag one with a 51t AAC muzzle device. I also use and like the SDN-6 for .300BO. The flush fit magazine works out great for a hunting rifle, easy to carry in the hand and good for resting on the lip of a shooting house or tree stand. Hard to go wrong with a Tikka though!
    ETA I also love my CTR
    Last edited by vaspence; 06-04-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Another option might be a used or new old stock Remington AAC Micro 7 300 BLK. I have one with an Omega 30 suppressor and LPV sight mounted and it's a nice shooter.

CZ makes a 300 BLK carbine with a threaded barrel, but it's a bit beyond your price range.
    Last edited by Robinson; 06-04-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Go!

Site Supporter
    I keep thinking about adding 300 BO bolt action with a suppressor to the mix but then I think about just getting a 16.5 .308 bolt action dedicated to .308 sub sonic. Then I would have the option of using regular .308 ammo. How much quieter is is the 300 BO subs vs the .308 subs? Add the option of getting a 300 BO AR15 pistol.

Alright, the rifle is secured. Now onto glass:

I'm a very strong Leupold fan. I know Vortex has good pricing, but I'm just going to say I want a Leupold...it's what all my other rifles wear and just what I like.

I'm torn between the following 3 options:

1. Leupold 1.5-5 MRT 1" tube, non-illuminated with SPR reticle. It's discontinued now, but Eurooptic has a few left on closeout for $460. I like the idea of the low mag, especially since we don't have super long shots in Georgia. Short light scope for a short light rifle. The SPR reticle offers the center circle, which I like and think may aid my kids in "centering" the target in the scope. Also, holdovers if I wanted to push distance.

2. Leupold 2.5-8x36. I have the Vari-X III version of this scope in gloss finish on my 1976 Ruger 30-06. Great all around hunting scope.

3. Leupold 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 in a VXI, or "Freedom" or whatever their cheap line is. It's still probably plenty sufficient for a hunting rifle, but not exactly what I "want." Still, half or less the price of the other options.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

3. Leupold 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 in a VXI, or "Freedom" or whatever their cheap line is. It's still probably plenty sufficient for a hunting rifle, but not exactly what I "want." Still, half or less the price of the other options.
    A 3-9x40 VX-2 on a 308 T3, bought from a member here, is my hunting rifle and a very capable shooter out to the maximum length of our range at ~200yd. If you want a BDC reticle you’re out of luck but I think you know that, and it shoots laser flat to 150. I think you’ll be happy with it.

I'd run the Leupold 2.5-8x36 you already have, at least until you find a reason to change it.

That said, I'm a big fan of LPVO's on hunting/practical rifles due to my location. Aside from the 22oz weight, I'm quite happy with the Razor GenII-E 1-6 on my CTR. I used it because I had it.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-05-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'd run the Leupold 2.5-8x36 you already have, at least until you find a reason to change it.

That said, I'm a big fan of LPVO's on hunting/practical rifles due to my location. Aside from the 22oz weight, I'm quite happy with the Razor GenII-E 1-6 on my CTR. I used it because I had it.
    Yeah, maybe my wording wasn't clear. The 2.5-8x36 I have is on this rifle and isn't coming off:

Needing an optic for this:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List