Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

"Now onto cans. What does everyone like for bolt guns? Obviously overall weight is a factor for hunting. "

So, heat is a problem with suppressors. If you are firing a lot of rounds quickly, you need to use spiffy materials - titanium, iconel, yadda. Those are heavy and expensive.

For a bolt hunting gun, if you are willing to shoot slowly enough to keep the can below its temp limits, you can use cans where much of the structure is aluminum. That makes them light and relatively cheap. The downside is if you don't watch the rate of fire/can temp you can heat them to temps where aluminum's strength falls, and Bad Things happen.

I haven't been keeping up with current offerings, but two to look at might be the Gemtech Tracker and Griffin Sportsman. They are around 11 ounces and $500/$600,

For contrast, the Sig SRD7.72 is 15 oz/$600 and the Sig 7.62Ti is 17 oz/$1k.

FWIW, my general opinion of cans is sort of like the 'which pistol is best' discussions: no can is to any can like unarmed is to armed. Given the price and wait, by all means shop carefully, but whatever you get will likely work well.

The AAC Jaeger would be the can to watch, I believe, in the ridiculously light weight *and* budget friendly category.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    The AAC Jaeger would be the can to watch, I believe, in the ridiculously light weight *and* budget friendly category.
    The only issue I have with the jaeger is the oal being 9inches. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a compact bolt gun and putting a 9 inch suppressor on the end of it.
    Currently looking at an energetic vox or something from YHM.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    The only issue I have with the jaeger is the oal being 9inches. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a compact bolt gun and putting a 9 inch suppressor on the end of it.
    Currently looking at an energetic vox or something from YHM.

Leverage. The weight of a heavier can, though an inch or two shorter, won’t make the difference you think it will.

Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Leverage. The weight of a heavier can, though an inch or two shorter, won’t make the difference you think it will.
    I completely agree, which is why I am leaning against the yhm which is heavier. The vox is lighter than the jaeger and significantly shorter. The best option would be a thunderbeast but 1k for a suppressor is too much for me.
    Last edited by PearTree; 07-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

The new project gun has arrived. Next up is waiting on the stock to arrive. Then it’s off to English rifles to get the new stock bedded and have their accurizing package done including mounting the muzzle break.
    Last edited by PearTree; 07-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thanks for all the input gents. I'm getting a Leupold VXR 2-7x33 Firedot #4 from a member here for a great price. Just ordered a pair of Talley Extra Low 30mm rings for it to sit in. Should be all set now.

@Lost River : if you check in, would you mind telling me a little bit about the sling setup on your compact T3? I don't do a lot of positional shooting slung, so I care less about having a ching sling, but more about being able to sling the gun tight to the body muzzle down (see suppressor = muzzle weight) for hands-on tasks.

Thanks!
    Sorry it has been so long since I have been active around here... @ASH556

My sling is a Viking Tactics 2 point. the same as on my M4s. I mounted a course threaded wood screw to the starboard side of the forend, and put a little dab of thread locker on it. This has been my practice for years. Heavy or light rifles. It allows me to be hands-free, with the rifle slung tight against my chest, or slung away to the side, as needed.

Just a quick update as I got to an outdoor 100yd range Saturday. This rifle is still hanging with the hype! From my rough 25yd zero it was a few clicks on each turret and it was hitting center. Bear in mind, this is with a 6lb rifle shooting off an improvised rest with a 2-7 leupold and a thick German crosshair. 3 shot groups with 150gr Federal Fusion. The ones in the box are un-suppressed. The ones 2" low are with the SDN-6 screwed on. 2" vertical drop is still well within my off-hand wobble zone at 100yds.

I believe this is my ultimate hunting rifle! Now I just have to get the sling figured out.

Last edited by ASH556; 08-05-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I'm late coming in on this, but maybe it will be of use to others. I'm finding the Ruger American in 300 BO to be a problem child. I've had a few across my bench now with tricky extraction/ejection issues, one of which had to go back to the mothership. I'm sure Ruger will sort it out (they normally do), but it isn't ready for prime time in 300 BO this year IMO.
    To meet the original poster's needs, Savage all day long.

User Tag List