Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That sounds Uber cool!
    Yup, it's going to have me giggling like a little kid, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You must have the model that doesn’t accept AR mags.
    Yes, it's an older model they they had on clearance at CDNN... where everything is on clearance, I guess.

I ditched the cheezy green Hogue stock and the rotary mags that came with it. The Magpul stock works well, and takes either AI or DTA mags. I've added a Timney trigger and a Magpul bipod. I think it's going to handle and balance much better with the shorter barrel.

A buddy of Wayne Dobbs will trim and thread the barrel for me. He makes excellent rifles. He is so good at cutting threads on a barrel for a comp, that you can't tell where the comp ends and the barrel begins. His book is full right now, but he agreed to do this when my stamp comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yes, it's an older model they they had on clearance at CDNN... where everything is on clearance, I guess.

I ditched the cheezy green Hogue stock and the rotary mags that came with it. The Magpul stock works well, and takes either AI or DTA mags. I've added a Timney trigger and a Magpul bipod. I think it's going to handle and balance much better with the shorter barrel.

A buddy of Wayne Dobbs will trim and thread the barrel for me. He makes excellent rifles. He is so good at cutting threads on a barrel for a comp, that you can't tell where the comp ends and the barrel begins. His book is full right now, but he agreed to do this when my stamp comes back.
    I’d love an American Compact in 6.5 Grendel with a shortened barrel and dropped in a Magpul stock. However, right now my ARs are handling my pig shooting needs.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I’d love an American Compact in 6.5 Grendel with a shortened barrel and dropped in a Magpul stock. However, right now my ARs are handling my pig shooting needs.
    Hmmmm..... since you will be coming to Tac-Con next year, and my paperwork will be done by then........

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hmmmm..... since you will be coming to Tac-Con next year, and my paperwork will be done by then........
    Babe's, Hard 8, TacCon, and pig shootin'?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Babe's, Hard 8, TacCon, and pig shootin'?
    That sounds like a win-win proposition to me.

Oh, and we need to get Darryl to introduce you to the nice folks at Jackson Armory. They also have a section of rare books related to firearms and history. I think you would really enjoy browsing there as well.

I barely escaped my last visit with my 401K intact. I did get some interesting tomes, however.

Also of note, the Ranch is available in 7.62x39 and accepts Mini-Thirty mags.

Man y'all, this came out sweeter than honey!

Tikka T3 Lite Compact in .308 cut to 16" and threaded 5/8x24
    Leupold VXR 2-7x33 #4 Firedot (Thanks @DamonL )sitting in Talley Ultra Low's
    AAC SDN-6

This is my new favorite rifle. Need to find a place to try the subs out on piggies and get an idea if they'll work on deer. I realize it's only 25yds, but with some of the issues I've had with rifles, threads, and suppressor mounts lately (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....08-bolt-issues , https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post841638 ), this is definitely a good indication that things are going to work out well!

Last edited by ASH556; 06-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I know op already found his answer but was hoping I could piggyback on this thread for some thoughts from the group. What do y’all think of the Remington model 7? I found one that comes in a 16.5 threaded barrel in 308 from the factory and it’s currently $440 on grabagun.
    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...seven-threaded

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I know op already found his answer but was hoping I could piggyback on this thread for some thoughts from the group. What do y’all think of the Remington model 7? I found one that comes in a 16.5 threaded barrel in 308 from the factory and it’s currently $440 on grabagun.
    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...seven-threaded
    Nice find! The only negatives I see are a hinged floorplate instead of a DBM, and that the LOP is 13 3/8".

I want to say that a cousin of mine had a Model 7 in 7mm/08 years ago that I remember him being fond of.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-04-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List