Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Compact-ish, suppressed bolt action hunting rifle.

Having divested myself of some time and possessions recently I find myself with a hole to fill and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations from you fine gents:

.308 or .300 blackout (slight nod to the .308 as I already have ammo on-hand).
    Compact (mostly so it's not a musket when I put the 7" AAC SDN-6 on the end of it)
    Hunting rifle for kids (see suppressor) and me when I feel like it.

Budget = $500ish, used is fine if possible

Looking at the Ruger American Predator right now as the front runner.

Any thoughts one way or the other on caliber or other recommendations?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Ruger American Compact with the youth stock (easy swap) and shorter barrel than the Predator in either caliber
    T/C Encore (.308) or Contender (300blk)
    Q Mini Fix - total budget killer but looks slicker than snot.
    Last edited by jandbj; 06-04-2019 at 03:32 PM.

This is more than you want to spend and it needs to be threaded.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tikk...t-action-rifle

Tikka T3x compact.
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    With the understanding I'm pretty well out of my lane here, I looked pretty hard at the Savage Hog Hunter when I was thinking of a similar purchase. I ended up going another direction, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Nice to see you back! And man, you're like in my head. 99% of your posts are things I'm debating in my head.

I've been thinking this same concept out, with full intention of having something worked up and ready for deer season this year. I want something with a little more oomph to it, and since I'm limited to a max available shot of 300yds, I don't need a huge rifle.

I'm leaning hard towards the Ruger American lineup, with a simple scope up top.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With the understanding I'm pretty well out of my lane here, I looked pretty hard at the Savage Hog Hunter when I was thinking of a similar purchase. I ended up going another direction, though.
    I've owned a Savage Hog Hunter 308 for several years. Mine has been customized with a wood stock from a Model 12,10rnd DBM, and a rear peep sight. It's heavier than I'd like for a field gun, but shoots well and is fun. I bought it because it was one of the few factory guns with iron sights.

One day I'll get a can for it...

Chris

Tiny Ruger Ranch Rifle in .300 BO?
    Well under $400 right?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Actually I think I may have just found the answer: Tikka T3 Lite Compact, cut to 16” and threaded 5/8x24. Guy has it for $450 unfired.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I'm not aware of a threaded barrel compact stock rifle in .308 that's under $500. If so, everything will either need to be threaded or have the stock cut/changed. If you are truly ok withe "Compact-ish", then the Ruger American Predator (SKU 26974) is a good choice.

Another option would be a standard Ruger American Compact model in .308 (SKU 6907), then have it cut and threaded. This would be lighter than the Predator due to the thinner barrel diameter, as well as shorter OAL due to compact stock and barrel cut to 16". That would be the best way to get a truly compact .308 with threaded barrel.

ETA: A buddy of mine has the Ranch in 300blk, AR mag version. Runs a Surefire can on it, and it's a hoot. Super handy.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.

The Ruger Ranch in .300BLK will run around $450 for the version that accepts AR mags. It comes threaded.

If I didn’t already have a .300 BLK AR, I would have snatched up one of these.

Many of the other American models can be swapped to a Magpul stock which then converts them to using the Magpul mags.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List