Thread: Which OWB's do you recommend for big guys?

Which OWB's do you recommend for big guys?

I've got a friend who is good sized, 6'0" 305lbs, and he is wanting to try out OWB for carry.

For you bigger guys, which OWB's have you found to work best for your body size? Also which position on the clock, cant, ride heights have been best?

Leather or kydex, though I think he'll lean toward kydex but he is generally receptive to recommendations.

He is currently carrying a 19x in a JM iwb3 behind the hip, or in a JM aiwb - but he will be getting a 19 soon to compliment.

He's fairly well dressed with fitting clothes for his size.

Right now I've got him looking at the JM owb stuff and the raven perun but wasn't sure on recommendations for cant etc... on the JM stuff.

Obviously there is personal preference and variation in body type, just looking for some rigs that are working for you guys and how you've got them setup as some info to pass along and to think about.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I've got a friend who is good sized, 6'0" 305lbs, and he is wanting to try out OWB for carry.

For you bigger guys, which OWB's have you found to work best for your body size? Also which position on the clock, cant, ride heights have been best?

Leather or kydex, though I think he'll lean toward kydex but he is generally receptive to recommendations.

He is currently carrying a 19x in a JM iwb3 behind the hip, or in a JM aiwb - but he will be getting a 19 soon to compliment.

He's fairly well dressed with fitting clothes for his size.

Right now I've got him looking at the JM owb stuff and the raven perun but wasn't sure on recommendations for cant etc... on the JM stuff.

Obviously there is personal preference and variation in body type, just looking for some rigs that are working for you guys and how you've got them setup as some info to pass along and to think about.
    backtrail540, for bigger guys either of our OWB's are great! I like a minimum of 10 degree cant and I think that works great for OWB carry and is a good blend of concealment and ease of draw. The OWB2 in 10 degree is awesome and my pick if you carry just behind the seam of your pants. And may lay just bit tighter to the body in that position than the OWB1. Both of our OWB's ride a bit lower than most others, they are 1 1/8" ish from top of belt to junction of front strap and trigger guard. Hope that helps. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    backtrail540, for bigger guys either of our OWB's are great! I like a minimum of 10 degree cant and I think that works great for OWB carry and is a good blend of concealment and ease of draw. The OWB2 in 10 degree is awesome and my pick if you carry just behind the seam of your pants. And may lay just bit tighter to the body in that position than the OWB1. Both of our OWB's ride a bit lower than most others, they are 1 1/8" ish from top of belt to junction of front strap and trigger guard. Hope that helps. Thanks
    Thanks Tony!
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post

Regarding the bolded: that is very desirable to me. I just got a JM OWB straight drop for the G48 (and the 43/43X of course fit) and it's a very high quality rig. I can see it carries a little lower than many designs. Higher designs like Raven Concealment, Atomic Dog stuck the butt of the gun into my short ribs and I detest carrying with them.

My use for this was mostly for range use so the straight drop which I prefer was not a concealment issue.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Thanks Tony!
    You bet!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I'm sure Tony's rigs are probably the tits... I know I've been more then happy with several of his holsters, although I have no experience with his owb models. The iwb3 is my current daily carry rig and I have no reason to switch. I just wanted to throw the Safariland 537 out there as a suggestion for something that is cheap and readily available, and works with a ton of guns. I've used mine with Glocks, m&p's and hk's and it works equally well with all of them.

Concealment isn't perfect, but it's not bad and I've found it pretty comfortable. I should mention that those are also my exact body dimensions so if it works for me, it will probably for him. The retention on it is super intuitive as well, almost too easy, but I look at it more as a way of making sure the gun stays put then as true mechanical retention. It's probably not a perfect ccw holster but I love it for hiking or winter carry under a coat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VT1032; 06-04-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Winthrop, amazing value for money: https://www.winthropholsters.com/pan...band-holsters/

I was probably as big as your buddy at 5'10" and 290#. I also carry a G19. The Winthrop leather holster mentioned above has been my EDC holster for two years now. It works, but it will wear out. After two years of every day wear mine got loose enough that I am ready to replace it.

I was given a Stealth Gear Flex Ventcore holster for my birthday by my son. I am in love with this holster. The high sweat guard really keeps the pistol from rubbing on the love handles, it retains the pistol well, and it keeps the pistol tight to your body. Overall it is excellent.

Winthrop, mentioned above, is a good value in an OWB leather holster. Mine loosened up after about two years and I'm ready for a new one.

My son gave me a Stealth Gear Flex Ventcore for my birthday a few months ago. It is an excellent holster and very comfortable.

User Tag List