Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KKM Comp issues at 15K

KKM Comp issues at 15K

Over the last two years I’ve shot just over 15,000 rounds through a Gen 3 Glock 19 KKM barrel/comp and have run into a couple issues.

First the barrel shoots groups as tight as ever however the point of impact has dramatically shifted left over time. When it was new the dot was approximately co witnessed with the iron sights. Now the dot is farther left than the left rear iron sight.

Cleaning the barrel doesn’t change this. Nor does cleaning the comp.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Second is reliability. My first malfunction was experienced at 8700 rounds. At 9000 rounds after its fifth failure to eject it went in for its first cleaning. It was another 3000 rounds before the malfunctions returned. Then it seemed to have issues if I didn’t give it attention every 500. Today, after a thorough cleaning the night before I experienced nine malfunctions.

What do I have to do to get its reliability back?

GUN: 2017 19.3, KKM Barrel/Comp, ATEI milling, RM06, Overwatch DAT, SCD

AMMO: Prior to its first malfunction, it has run seven different 115gr factory loads as well as three 124gn factory loads. The primary load I run with it is Speer Lawman 124gr which accounts for about 80% of ammo.

MAINTENANCE: Lubed every 500 RSA is changed out every 3K. All other springs were changed out at 10K

What kind of malfunctions are you getting?

Are all springs stock?

edit to remove question you answered.

That ammo should be reasonably hot enough to make it work. Have you tried some +P?
    Last edited by jbrimlow; 06-03-2019 at 07:59 AM.

I'd remove the comp and properly reinstall per the manufacturer's specification. I'd also take high resolution pictures of all wear points on the barrel and where the barrel meets the slide, post those pictures here. I would also shoot the gun sans comp for groups if possible.
    #RESIST

Are you sure your slide isn't cracked?

I had a Gen2 17 that acted like that and turned out to be cracked through the ejection port.

I'd post this at Brian Enos' site.

Maybe an eroded comp?

Is your front sight sight on the comp itself?

Seems like we're circling the short list of variables here:

Barrel Lock Up Wear

Slide Wear

Comp Wear/Erosion

Start eliminating them one by one; Try the slide and barrel without comp. Try the barrel and comp in another slide. Try a stock barrel. . .

Have you checked the locking block? Make sure it's not cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    What kind of malfunctions are you getting?

Are all springs stock?

edit to remove question you answered.

That ammo should be reasonably hot enough to make it work. Have you tried some +P?
    Failure to Eject/stove pipes

All springs are OEM

I haven't run +P through this gun. I have an exact duplicate as my carry weapon which has run +P Gold Dots but the carry gun only has about 1K through it and stays clean and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd remove the comp and properly reinstall per the manufacturer's specification. I'd also take high resolution pictures of all wear points on the barrel and where the barrel meets the slide, post those pictures here. I would also shoot the gun sans comp for groups if possible.
    See album here: https://imgur.com/a/r79pVhR
    If there is something specific you need to see let me know.

Comps been removed and installed several times. last time was 846 rounds ago.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Are you sure your slide isn't cracked?

I had a Gen2 17 that acted like that and turned out to be cracked through the ejection port.
    No cracks that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I'd post this at Brian Enos' site.

Maybe an eroded comp?

Is your front sight sight on the comp itself?
    What's an eroded comp and how does it affect a gun. Comp is dirty and looks to have some erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Seems like we're circling the short list of variables here:

Barrel Lock Up Wear

Slide Wear

Comp Wear/Erosion

Start eliminating them one by one; Try the slide and barrel without comp. Try the barrel and comp in another slide. Try a stock barrel. . .
    Comp is off now, and I'll bring the original barrel to the range next time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Have you checked the locking block? Make sure it's not cracked.
    Can't find any cracks.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I would look at the following:

1) The slide lock and its spring. Not the slide release but the lever that needs to be pulled down on both sides to remove the upper. When replacing, the ledge in the part faces the rear of the pistol.

2) The locking block and its pins. Make sure it is not loose in the frame and the barrel is locking up evenly on both sides.

I'm betting that it shoots fine without the comp installed.
    #RESIST

User Tag List