Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No-gi vs gi for self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    What about 'half gi', like rolling in gi pants and t-shirt?
    That’s perfectly fine. If you use them-shirts to grab, that is probably a good idea, but be prepared to go through shirts on a regular basis.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I look at this from a little different angle.

If I am forced to defend myself from a violent assault my objective is not to grab the bad guy and wrestle. It is to end his hostile actions as soon as possible and get away. This is best accomplished by attacking his eyes, throat or balls or by applying a healthy dose of blunt force trauma. Tansu is about using elbows, knees, head buts, finger breaking and a host of assorted nasties that are banned from the UFC and virtually all other forms of sport fighting, and for a very good reason. Nobody wants to get blinded or have their nose bitten off for sport.

Now, with that being said, should you learn to wrestle? Of course! You never know when you might get put on the deck but it should not be your main objective. Only wrestle long enough to hurt the bad guy. This is because most real fights involve other people and the last thing you want in a violent assault is to have both hands full of "bad guy A" trying to hold him down with your head at perfect punt level when you could have kicked him in the groin or jammed a thumb two knuckles deep in his eyes and ended it immediately.
    Last edited by Tactical Black Belt; 06-03-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post

If I am forced to defend myself from a violent assault my objective is not to grab the bad guy and wrestle. It is to end his hostile actions as soon as possible and get away. This is best accomplished by attacking his eyes, throat or balls or by applying a healthy dose of blunt force trauma. Tansu is about using elbows, knees, head buts, finger breaking and a host of assorted nasties that are banned from the UFC and virtually all other forms of sport fighting, and for a very good reason. Nobody wants to get blinded or have their nose bitten off for sport.

Now, with that being said, should you learn to wrestle? Of course! You never know when you might get put on the deck but it should not be your main objective. Only wrestle long enough to hurt the bad guy. This is because most real fights involve other people and the last thing you want in a violent assault is to have both hands full of "bad guy A" trying to hold him down with your head at perfect punt level when you could have kicked him in the groin or jammed a thumb two knuckles deep in his eyes and ended it immediately.
    Some thoughts on groin strikes from Cecil's youtube. Mentions eye gouges, biting, and some other stuff as well.

How many Jiu Jitsu places commonly do both gi and no-gi? I've been trying to work toward a schedule that will allow me to get into a Jiu Jitsu gym. I'm pretty sure it's a gi only gym, and I look forward to just learning the basics.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 06-03-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post

where do people get the idea that BJJ, Muay Thai, and other "sportfighting" practitioners don't know how to bite or eye gouge?

how do you practice biting and eye gouging in an alive manner?

how do you practice biting and eye gouging in an alive manner?

As far as biting, use a firm apple and bite it at a 45 degree angle using the deeply rooted canine teeth. The front teeth are more likely to get pulled loose if you or the opponent yanks away suddenly. Most of the damage is not done from the bite but from violent back and forth movement of the head just like dogs do when they bite. The big difference is that a human can only generate about fifty pounds of pressure so bites should be limited to fingers and soft targets like the ears, nose and soft fleshy parts of the face.

Eye gouging can be practiced on yourself if you are careful. You simply trap the head with one hand and place the tip of the thumb in either the inner or outer corner of the eye. With a bit of practice the eyes become very easy to find by touch alone. Of course if you are really being held down and assaulted you would forcefully burrow the thumb deep behind the eyeball using lots of vibrato.

Finger jabs to the eyes are usually practiced on a Styrofoam wig head but I will withhold the details of exactly how it is done because this is a public forum where some kid might read this and try it at school.

I don't want this to sound too caviler as these are serious techniques to be done in only the gravest circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    How many Jiu Jitsu places commonly do both gi and no-gi? I've been trying to work toward a schedule that will allow me to get into a Jiu Jitsu gym. I'm pretty sure it's a gi only gym, and I look forward to just learning the basics.
    There should be some good options for you up there...

We do 2 days no-gi, the rest gi. At an open roll, if someone is doing no-gi, they'll expect that you take off the jacket, or just ignore fabric "grips".

I'm broken, so I usually limit no-gi to once a week and at open roll as necessary for whomever is prepping for a no-gi comp.

@Tactical Black Belt

Could you tell us more about the art of Tansu? A google search yields only traditional Japanese locked chests.

Site Supporter
    This subforum is awesome already.

My academy tends to split pretty evenly between Gi, No-Gi, and a combat Jiu Jitsu curriculum so we can pimp slap each other when rolling too. One reason I tend to like No-Gi a little more is that when I'm in a Gi, I tend to get a little more complacent about being in a bottom position, and I really shouldn't. In No-Gi, I'll try to be more aggressive with takedowns. Although I am working takedowns more in Gi lately and trying to work more throws instead of just the usual double leg or arm drag/ankle pick.

Re: eyepokes and nut shots...yeah I'd probably do them if I had to, but correct me if I'm wrong here...they would seem to me to be a "death or grievous bodily harm" situation...and not everyone can apply that level of force (e.g. bouncers, security guards, police officers) if they did for every use of force. BJJ and MMA can be escalated as the case requires.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This subforum is awesome already

Re: eyepokes and nut shots...yeah I'd probably do them if I had to, but correct me if I'm wrong here...they would seem to me to be a "death or grievous bodily harm" situation...and not everyone can apply that level of force (e.g. bouncers, security guards, police officers) if they did for every use of force. BJJ and MMA can be escalated as the case requires.
    Exactly. I worked as a bouncer for five years and my job was not to hurt people but to keep them from hurting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This subforum is awesome already.

My academy tends to split pretty evenly between Gi, No-Gi, and a combat Jiu Jitsu curriculum so we can pimp slap each other when rolling too. One reason I tend to like No-Gi a little more is that when I'm in a Gi, I tend to get a little more complacent about being in a bottom position, and I really shouldn't. In No-Gi, I'll try to be more aggressive with takedowns. Although I am working takedowns more in Gi lately and trying to work more throws instead of just the usual double leg or arm drag/ankle pick.
    Good point about the "lure of the guard position"... That said, I tend to find that being in the bottom position during no-gi is much more ephemeral - It is just too slippery of a game since top player doesn't really have much to hold on to you. That said, being mounted or in side control != playing bottom... More like, "you done kittened up..."

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Funny, right? Just like competitive shooting, you start to see these openings with regularity once you start seeing what BJJ is all about... Lol.

Maybe that Haueter guy was right about that "train sport, think street", eh?

User Tag List