Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: No-gi vs gi for self-defense

https://www.grapplearts.com/dirty-fi...-in-grappling/

Stephen Kesting did a short podcast on this topic that I thought made the same compelling points Cecil, Craig, Larry L and Paul have taught over the years.

Hope its helpful to someone else thats just starting their journey

Cecil, the point about fighting for top even in gi is a great one that I will try to remember. Beyond position, are there any techniques that translate particularly well across gi and no gi?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    https://www.grapplearts.com/dirty-fi...-in-grappling/

Stephen Kesting did a short podcast on this topic that I thought made the same compelling points Cecil, Craig, Larry L and Paul have taught over the years.

Hope its helpful to someone else thats just starting their journey
    I liked that, thanks. His comments on the delivery system vs ‘dirty techniques’ sure sound familiar. As an aside, I found Kestings "BJJ roadmap" app to be super useful as a framework to keep in mind while getting my newbie ass squashed flat by blue belts and young, competition-expereinced white belts. Having a larger framework and position hierarchy to use as a rough guide most def keeps BJJ from being just a miasma of arms, legs, and successful collar chokes applied against me. Probably way too basic for the average P-F BJJ player reading this sub fora, but if you have no background, I recommend the app unreservedly, if for no other reason than as a tool to keep from going blind/spasing in the first 6 months. Take that recommendation for what it’s worth, from a guy with very little experience.

(Gotta love the "red shirt" rash guard in that vid; what a geek...)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I liked that, thanks. His comments on the delivery system vs ‘dirty techniques’ sure sound familiar. As an aside, I found Kestings "BJJ roadmap" app to be super useful as a framework to keep in mind while getting my newbie ass squashed flat by blue belts and young, competition-expereinced white belts. Having a larger framework and position hierarchy to use as a rough guide most def keeps BJJ from being just a miasma of arms, legs, and successful collar chokes applied against me. Probably way too basic for the average P-F BJJ player reading this sub fora, but if you have no background, I recommend the app unreservedly, if for no other reason than as a tool to keep from going blind/spasing in the first 6 months. Take that recommendation for what it’s worth, from a guy with very little experience.

(Gotta love the "red shirt" rash guard in that vid; what a geek...)
    I'm hoping to start BJJ in the next month or so when I get back to day shift. I'll look into that app, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I'm hoping to start BJJ in the next month or so when I get back to day shift. I'll look into that app, thanks
    Having an overarching set of steps to take in the back of your mind, and then flailing about in trial and error on the details with 240lbs on top of you is light years away from having no clue, and just flailing about in trial and error with 240lbs on top of you. It’s the difference between occasionally tapping a blue belt 4-6 months in when they make a mistake (which they still do, at that level, even if they normal toss you like a cat with a piece of string) and just spending 6 months nursing your ribs. Again, just my opinion and experience as a beginner in a club where I was one of the only total newbies. The place in my town is *heavily* competition-biased, and filled with young people with 2-10years of competing under their belts. Tough row to hoe without doing theory work outside of class. Again, grain of salt; I’m no Cecil. Just offering a beginner’s perspective, to be taken as such and corrected if need be.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Cecil, the point about fighting for top even in gi is a great one that I will try to remember. Beyond position, are there any techniques that translate particularly well across gi and no gi?
    Anything using overhooks or underhooks works pretty well in either situation. Closed guard with an overhook, butterfly with an underhook, etc.

Establishing solid back control is always a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm switching to "gi agnostic" grips, even rolling gi, because my fingers are starting to look like anal beads. I'm in my early 30s and I'm already getting arthritis in my fingers.

Like, I'm sure there's a self-defense reason for it too, but that's not my primary motivation.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 06-08-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I'm switching to "gi agnostic" grips, even rolling gi, because my fingers are starting to look like anal beads. I'm in my early 30s and I'm already getting arthritis in my fingers.

Like, I'm sure there's a self-defense reason for it too, but that's not my primary motivation.

"That’s a good plan, man!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu7YRjd86Y

I'm beating a dead horse but link above is some Canadian doods thoughts on "Which Martial Art is King of the Streets?".

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu7YRjd86Y

I'm beating a dead horse but link above is some Canadian doods thoughts on "Which Martial Art is King of the Streets?".
    He’s not just “some Canadian dude.” He’s one of the best MMA coaches in the world.

User Tag List