Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitz Special candidates

Fitz Special candidates

So what revolvers would be a good candidate for a Fitz Special? After hearing Dagga Boy talk about them on the P&S podcast and made sense of that concersion, I'm fancying the idea of a revolver I can drop in my coat pocket and able to draw and fire with my 2xl gloves on in our Michigan winters.

I wouldn’t do it from the standpoint of liability, but if I were, I’d pick something really cheap because you're going to destroy the value of the gun.

Site Supporter
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...l+2+6+wood+bla

I would not carry a Fitz special these days but the above Armscor revolver is where I would start if I was making a modern replica. If you just want a good outer pocket revolver let me recommend the Colt’s King Cobra Carry which seems to have a slightly enlarged trigger guard.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-carry

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I wouldn’t do it from the standpoint of liability, but if I were, I’d pick something really cheap because you're going to destroy the value of the gun.
    Agreed. But if the OP’s going to do it, a used Taurus would be a good choice.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_[ View Post
    So what revolvers would be a good candidate for a Fitz Special? After hearing Dagga Boy talk about them on the P&S podcast and made sense of that concersion, I'm fancying the idea of a revolver I can drop in my coat pocket and able to draw and fire with my 2xl gloves on in our Michigan winters.
    None.

It was a bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.

If you're going to do something like this. Thin the trigger guard, don't cut it all away.

If you're going to carry in a coat pocket, I'd probably go big-bore. A Charter Bulldog with the bobbed hammer, a thinned trigger guard, and a bright green front sight, because snow, for some reason, often obscures black sights for me. If you're going to be wearing gloves, you might consider getting narrow wood stocks for the gun and maybe a grip adapter you can thin down so you get a good grip on the gun with gloves on.

There's building a Fitz Special, and then there's carrying a Fitz Special. And I would submit that unless you're willing to build up the skills necessary to safely operate a Fitz Special (and those skills are not inconsiderable) then you're better off not carrying a Fitz Special. Building one as an homage or as a range-piece can be great fun, and, if you go that route, you might as well do it right and acquire a Colt 1917 (they still can be found relatively inexpensively with diligent searching) in 45 ACP, then find a gunsmith willing to make it happen.

If your main concern is the ability to get inside the trigger guard while wearing gloves or mittens, then you might consider acquiring an N-frame snub-nose or a snub-nose Ruger Redhawk, leaving the gun un-modified, and then trying as many different glove combinations as you can until you find one that will work within the physical confines of the trigger guard. Fabric technology has come a long way since Fitz built his Specials 100-years ago.

I’d think an old blued Ruger Redhawk would be an appropriate substitute for a 45 Colt New Service.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Buy A Spare Ruger Trigger Guard, Through Evil Bay?

Plenty of things from parted-out firearms are available, through evil-bay. I will admit that I thought, a time or two, over the years, about acquiring a take-off SP101 trigger guard, and Fitz-ing it. As this would be done to a spare trigger guard, undoing the work is simplified.

I am not, necessarily, saying that I recommend carrying a Fitz-ed weapon, but in thick-glove weather, it might be the lesser of competing harms. (I.O.W., the lesser of two weevils.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-29-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Cut The Guard, But, Weld An Extension Onto It?

Same principle as the extended-loop levers for rifles; have a talented ‘smith, who truly understands heating and welding firearms, create an enlarged trigger guard?
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-29-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List