Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redneck Ballistic Testing protocol and results.

Redneck Ballistic Testing protocol and results.

The protocol: 4 1 gallon milk jugs placed label side facing the shooter filled with water, placed as tightly together as possible, with a big water-filled kitty litter jug as backstop at the end of the stack, shot from about a yard away.

Results:

.32 ACP PPU 71 grain JHP--I fired 7 rounds from my p32, shifting poa after each shot so it would hit water. 6 rounds sailed through all 4 jugs. The 7th round stopped in the 4th bottle with very minor nose deformation. I forgot the kitty litter jug on this one.

.38 Special from my 2" 640
    --.Hornady Critical Defense 110gr +p = stopped by 2nd jug, jacket mostly separated

--Speer Gold Dot 125gr +p = went through 3 jugs, bounced off 4th

9mm

--147 Ranger-T from a 4" px4= stopped in 3rd jug

--115 Critical Defense from a 4" Springfield = identical results to the .38 version above

.357 from 2" 640

135 gr. Critical Defense = stopped in 4th jug

.45ACP from a Kahr CW45

--230 gr Gold Dot=stopped in kitty litter jug

--230 gr PMC Starfire =stopped in kitty litter jug

Everything expanded great, aside from the .32 PPU and the .45 Starfire (posted pics awhile back)

Once I get a battery for my calipers again, I'll post some pics and expansion numbers.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean jack compared to gel. More loads to follow.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-02-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Yeah I had same results with that starfire round as well lol junk, nice testing .

So the .45 Auto rounds penetrated better than the or 9mm, .38 Special or .357 Magnum, and at least one of those deepest-penetrating .45 Auto rounds even expanded?!

That's not how these tests are supposed to turn out.
    [Irony]The best 9mm load is supposed to equal or out-perform the best .45 Auto load nowadays.[/Irony]
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    So the .45 Auto rounds penetrated better than the or 9mm, .38 Special or .357 Magnum, and at least one of those deepest-penetrating .45 Auto rounds even expanded?!

That's not how these tests are supposed to turn out.
    [Irony]The best 9mm load is supposed to equal or out-perform the best .45 Auto load nowadays.[/Irony]
    Out of a short barrel, and 230 grains too! Of course, .45 also had the only expansion failure from a "premium" round. But maybe Starfire just does suck. I don't think they ever got LE contracts for it.

I found yesterday's test with the .38 Gold Dots the most surprising, actually. Petals- folded back expansion and it equalled/beat (barely-- cracked the forth jug) 9mm 147 Ranger-T in penetration--also "blew up" first jug, not as impressively as 9mm+p /.357 /.45ACP, but way more impressive than the 110 grain Critical Defense.

I think I have some 129 grain +p Hydrashock sitting around, that should be an interesting comparison. But when I have enough jugs saved, I think I will try the 125 GD .38+p through my 4" Trooper next.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Yeah I had same results with that starfire round as well lol junk, nice testing .
    What did you shoot with it, and what vintage were you using?

My box was a 2000- ish purchase.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    What did you shoot with it, and what vintage were you using?

My box was a 2000- ish purchase.
    It was with a glock 30 and it was prob something like 2010 or so IIRC .. ended up just using that for target ammo ..

More useless/dubious "data.."

All from a 2" 640 pro:

Remington 125 grain .38 +p SJHP= good expansion, stopped in 3rd jug, some jacket loss

Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel .38+p= good expansion, comparable to the 125 grain Gold Dot, stopped in 4th jug.

Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel .357=explosive expansion, jacketing shredded, remaining core almost looks like it has a hydrashok post, stopped in 4th jug.

I have 135 grain .38s as my new 640 carry/home load. When/if I work out the rest of my current flinch, I may switch to the .357 short barrel. The .38 short barrel seems a bit lighter on recoil than the Remington 125 grain load. The .357 Short barrel isn't bad at all for .357, but the increased flip had me grouping a few inches lower than my poa at 7 yards, so I will stick to the dead-on .38 version for now.

Sorry, still haven't got a chrony, still haven't got a battery for my calipers, and I still have no photos-- but I have saved all the bullets and I will get photos up soonish.

Definitely need a scale too.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Sorry still no photos but a few more loads from my 640 pro 2".

129 grain Hydrashok .38+p: 3 jugs, almost exited the third jug, moderate expansion

158 grain XTP .357 Fiocchi "Extrema": went through 3 kitty litter jugs and stopped in a fourth, cracked the first jug in 4 places, will re-test in milk jugs, moderate expansion with petals bent back--milder recoil than .38 Special Wolf 130 grain FMJ

158 grain standard pressure .38 PPU LSWHP: stopped in the second kitty litter jug, no expansion but hollow base is deformed

I think this shows how things that won't expand in gel will often expand in water. The Hydrashok seems to never expand in gel and I doubt the .357 Fiocchi would do much in gel either-- it feels like a .38+p.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Sorry still no photos but a few more loads from my 640 pro 2".

129 grain Hydrashok .38+p: 3 jugs, almost exited the third jug, moderate expansion

158 grain XTP .357 Fiocchi "Extrema": went through 3 kitty litter jugs and stopped in a fourth, cracked the first jug in 4 places, will re-test in milk jugs, moderate expansion with petals bent back--milder recoil than .38 Special Wolf 130 grain FMJ

158 grain standard pressure .38 PPU LSWHP: stopped in the second kitty litter jug, no expansion but hollow base is deformed

I think this shows how things that won't expand in gel will often expand in water. The Hydrashok seems to never expand in gel and I doubt the .357 Fiocchi would do much in gel either-- it feels like a .38+p.
    I'm seeing a new YT channel coming soon. Wazzup PFer's.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If I wasn't a schoolteacher, I'd think about it. Maybe without my face on screen?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List