Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 12 hour shift question - filling OT

We've been on 12s about a decade. With 17' including one in field training, we're at the most critical shortage I've seen in 30 years. We have another due to graduate the academy and another in the hiring process.
    The interim chief is covering shifts to cover leave requests. It's very difficult to get any coverage when someone calls in. This time last year we had 22 total. We don't get a lot of applicants. The officers union did some research and found that we are third from the bottom in pay among comparable agencies.
    No one wants to be a cop anymore and frankly I don't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We've been on 12s about a decade. With 17' including one in field training, we're at the most critical shortage I've seen in 30 years. We have another due to graduate the academy and another in the hiring process.
    The interim chief is covering shifts to cover leave requests. It's very difficult to get any coverage when someone calls in. This time last year we had 22 total. We don't get a lot of applicants. The officers union did some research and found that we are third from the bottom in pay among comparable agencies.
    How do you guys fill OT if someone calls off sick?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

I've been on the job 23 and I think we have seen the lowest turn out for open jobs in that time. I've been around policing due to family since I was 4 and my family says the same thing. I think the lack of qualified candidates or candidates that are able to make it through the FTO process is the biggest risk to law enforcement we face today. My agency ranks typically top 5 in Indiana in pay and benefits, and have been #1 several times. Our last testing had 100ish people show up. We interviewed about 60 for what initially was 3 spots but now will be most likely 5-6. No way we will fill that from this current list from what I hear. I know this is nationwide and it makes for a scary future for LE. I have 10-12 years left and I don't want to see what happens. It looks like all agencies are getting the best of the rest. Hopefully the tide turns for the positive soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    How do you guys fill OT if someone calls off sick?
    Hold someone over as needed and get someone to come in later to relieve them. So far we've been able to cover things but now we are in the summer vacation season.

We've also had to cut back on in-service training.

Getting these three new guys through training will give some relief, but another officer will likely be going on light duty due to pregnancy and I'm retiring sometime between now and next summer.

We work 4-10s in patrol. They try to cover low staffing by pulling Officers from Districts that aren’t low to those that are. Of course this makes the whole city somewhat low. So they try to get Officers from the prior shift to cover slots for OT. If they can’t cover it they’ll call people in for OT shifts. We have to have LT approval to work more than 16 hours a day so the OT shifts are six hours. I’ve seen two district each need five OT slots to get to minimum staffing levels. There was one Saturday not to long ago with a District that needed eight Officers to get to minimum staffing.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List