Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dude making open carriers look bad

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    The question we’ve been chasing for some time though is how do we obtain better positive exposure of firearms? That’s a relatively tall order these days, given how they’re viewed as taboo and many people don’t think of them til one’s used to victimize them or the next whack job goes for high score on a shooting spree.

I’ve advocated some for open carry here in the past, and used to partake in it myself. It had moments it was beneficial because you’d be approached by folks who had an interest but didn’t know they’re allowed to carry a gun around in public (at least you can here in Georgia, void where prohibited).

It’s not ideal, but it does work to an extent to show not every non-cop/mil carrying a gun in public does so with nefarious intent.
    Inversely, in an urban environment, it has a high chance of making gun owners look absolutely stupid. Fat Man and Snow Boots were the textbook example of that.

If you want to get more people to look favorably, get them involved. Invite them to a shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Inversely, in an urban environment, it has a high chance of making gun owners look absolutely stupid. Fat Man and Snow Boots were the textbook example of that.

If you want to get more people to look favorably, get them involved. Invite them to a shoot.
    I’d say it depends upon how one presents themself.

Ole Bubba in his Realtree camo toting a Taurus Judge in a nylon sack definitely screams backwoods low-IQ hick. Dressing in even business casual attire with a respectable holster and looking like a well-functioning member of society can be more beneficial to the cause. Of course, the latter is a rarity.

The inviting folks out can be a bit of a challenge, because the topic of guns can be extremely taboo depending upon one’s locale or work and social circles. Mention owning firearms in the wrong company and you’re viewed as an abhorrent monster. It’s not received in the same way as other more socially acceptable interests (cars, fine adult beverages, etc).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    But if such gun non-cognoscenti are shocked or frightened by the sight of a non-cop with a gun, I don't think it will help promote your concept of inuring them to the idea of gun carry by "common citizens".

Outwardly displaying guns on our persons on a regular or daily basis as a sort of political statement is probably counter-productive. Those who are well-familiar with guns usually think the open carriers are jerks, and the gun-shy are made anxious; where's the benefit in that?
    The first time I saw a gay pride parade was shocking. The 2nd and 3rd time too. But eventually what seemed shocking is normalized and you realize "it isn't for me, but there are a lot of people that feel strongly about it and they aren't hurting anyone."

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in. When you believe that constitutes the entirety of a population, it is easy to write it off and support restrictive legislation - something you are much less likely to do if you realize the numbers are much larger and the percentage of bad actors is miniscule.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I’d say it depends upon how one presents themself.

Ole Bubba in his Realtree camo toting a Taurus Judge in a nylon sack definitely screams backwoods low-IQ hick. Dressing in even business casual attire with a respectable holster and looking like a well-functioning member of society can be more beneficial to the cause. Of course, the latter is a rarity.

The inviting folks out can be a bit of a challenge, because the topic of guns can be extremely taboo depending upon one’s locale or work and social circles. Mention owning firearms in the wrong company and you’re viewed as an abhorrent monster. It’s not received in the same way as other more socially acceptable interests (cars, fine adult beverages, etc).
    If you dress well, people will just think of you as a plain clothes LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The first time I saw a gay pride parade was shocking. The 2nd and 3rd time too. But eventually what seemed shocking is normalized and you realize "it isn't for me, but there are a lot of people that feel strongly about it and they aren't hurting anyone."

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in. When you believe that constitutes the entirety of a population, it is easy to write it off and support restrictive legislation - something you are much less likely to do if you realize the numbers are much larger and the percentage of bad actors is miniscule.
    So what you're saying is that the OC crowd is their own worst enemy then?

Because the OC crowd seems intent on only ever making a bad impression.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

The fat guy in flip flops with a Taurus Judge in a nylon holster may be the OC version of the pride marcher in assless chaps, but they both do more good than the "respectable" curmudgeons sitting on the sidelines wanting everyone to stay closeted to not risk drawing the ire of the ignorant masses.

If you dress well, people will just think of you as a plain clothes LEO.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

The point to me was the folks may get their undies in a wad the first time or two, but after that it’s a non-event.

I think your statement was needlessly snide. Yes the vast majority of OCers, the ones who make the rounds in topics such as these, are undoubtedly attention whores trying to stir the locals by carrying at them. However, there are those who do it for convenience, laziness or because it’s the only way they can legally carry without buying back their rights via CC permit. They’re not all out to be assholes.

ETA: I don’t care much about the person with a crap pistol on their hip, it’s the attention-thirsty nimrod carrying an SKS into the local store I’m weary of.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 06-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The fat guy in flip flops with a Taurus Judge in a nylon holster may be the OC version of the pride marcher in assless chaps, but they both do more good than the "respectable" curmudgeons sitting on the sidelines wanting everyone to stay closeted to not risk drawing the ire of the ignorant masses.
    And what on earth do you base that on? IN Texas when the OC protesters started doing their schtick strong movement popped up to ban long gun OC, and pushed back OC legislation for years.

And what on earth do you base that on? IN Texas when the OC protesters started doing their schtick strong movement popped up to ban long gun OC, and pushed back OC legislation for years.
    The gay pride movement had backlash & reversals too (things like laws banning gay teachers). But while individual waves may have rolled out, the tide kept coming in...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-05-2019 at 03:10 PM.

The gay pride movement had backlash & reversals too (things like laws banning gay teachers). But while individual waves may have rolled out, the tide kept coming in...
    I think you dramatically overestimate the number of people OCing.

User Tag List