Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dude making open carriers look bad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The gay pride movement had backlash & reversals too (things like laws banning gay teachers). But while individual waves may have rolled out, the tide kept coming in...
    That was despite these tactics, not because of them. It was because others took a much more intelligent approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Student
    As I grew up I saw less folks carrying in Scottsdale and more folks carrying in the Mesa-Chandler area.

I wonder how Dean Weingarten's travels have been since he first started doing his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The first time I saw a gay pride parade was shocking. The 2nd and 3rd time too. But eventually what seemed shocking is normalized and you realize "it isn't for me, but there are a lot of people that feel strongly about it and they aren't hurting anyone."

Before that my only exposure to gays were negative news stories of predators and pedophiles with maybe an eccentric artsy type thrown in.
    If you saw a dude in assless chaps walking around Walmart, that’d be shocking. Period. A pride parade is a festival/celebration for a particular group. Kind of like how most people here wouldn’t think too much about OC at a range, or a gun show. Time and place for everything.

Also, pedophilia and homosexuality are 2 separate things.

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Also, pedophilia and homosexuality are 2 separate things.
    Obviously. And so are criminal shooters vs lawful gun owners. When the later stay in the closet, the former get all the attention creating a skewed representativeness heuristic.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-05-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    The country evolved, for the most part, in its views about discriminating against race, religion and sexuality. They learned or were socialized to realize that fearful and prejudicial mythology was just that. Thus, we have move towards not discriminating against folks on these grounds. Unfortunately, we still have strong pockets of bigotry that spout the mythology.

Gun owners haven't made the case for being discriminated against in the same fashion and being persecuted. Thus, the basic sympathetic impulse in the population is not evoked. As I have said, the current RKBA messaging is not likely to evoke such sympathy. I agree that positive gun stories are far and few between but you do see successful SD stories on our local news and sometimes on the national. However, unless the NRA gets its act together to drop the money raising / right wing connection - getting sympathy from half the electorate is a lost cause. Said that many, many times.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-05-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The country evolved, for the most part, in its views about discriminating against race, religion and sexuality. They learned or were socialized to realize that fearful and prejudicial mythology was just that. Thus, we have move towards not discriminating against folks on these grounds. Unfortunately, we still have strong pockets of bigotry that spout the mythology.

Gun owners haven't made the case for being discriminated against in the same fashion and being persecuted. Thus, the basic sympathetic impulse in the population is not evoked. As I have said, the current RKBA messaging is not likely to evoke such sympathy. I agree that positive gun stories are far and few between but you do see successful SD stories on our local news and sometimes on the national. However, unless the NRA gets its act together to drop the money raising / right wing connection - getting sympathy from half the electorate is a lost cause. Said that many, many times.
    Agree completely on that.

The recent case of the New Yorker getting charged for unlicensed/unregistered possession after killing two burglars in his home should be far more of a rallying cry for gun owners than it has been. I agree that the NRA, as well as other big gun groups, aren’t focusing their energies in the right places. You’d think a group dedicated to the 2A from a “fighting tyranny/corruption” perspective would do a better job of cleaning house in its own camp when the folks chosen to spearhead the organization are fucking up royally.

As for seeing cases of self-defense in the news the problem is that these stories, when they get any air time, are covered so minimally and rarely make it to national attention. But if a criminal or mass shooter does their misdeeds, that gets played on at least twice as much. We certainly need help in better highlighting incidents of responsibly armed citizens thwarting crimes against them, but the media only wants what’ll induce fear.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter

The NRA has always tried to be a single issue organization. They support right wing politicians because that is who supports our cause. I have yet to see a single politician left of center do so.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Old argument about lack of outreach. Sorry Josh, doesn't really happen. Past threads go over this debate endlessly.

I agree that in cases where the violation of rights outrage should be stronger, there have been crickets from the NRA as in the case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...ilando_Castile

The NRA should have had that as a cover story as compared to the Stop the Social Wave drivel. The NRA tried to justify the shooting in a manner which was not logical.

In any case, if anyone thinks the current gun world organizational media strategy will engender broadening support for the RKBA, they are delusional - to be blunt.

Because ‘Murica

Name:  4018B58E-F141-4041-82B0-85EB074694FE.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  36.2 KB
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List