Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dude making open carriers look bad

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Sadly, this is the more common sight. I just snapped this one literally less than 5 minutes ago while buying a soda at a gas station - looked like a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grips in an open top Fobus:
    If you're going to open frigging carry, a J-frame would seem to me to be about a low-wattage a choice as there is.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Since I moved to Georgia eleven years ago I've seen exactly three open carriers. In each case, it did not seem to me that these individuals being armed would prevent their being beaten silly by even an average hoodlum before they would be able to put their gun into action. They each displayed a complete lack of awareness, two of the three were overweight, one was wearing flip flops, not to mention the poor tactical choice of open carrying in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Since I moved to Georgia eleven years ago I've seen exactly three open carriers. In each case, it did not seem to me that these individuals being armed would prevent their being beaten silly by even an average hoodlum before they would be able to put their gun into action. They each displayed a complete lack of awareness, two of the three were overweight, one was wearing flip flops, not to mention the poor tactical choice of open carrying in the first place.
    C'mon man, it's all about educating the sheeple.

Maybe it's Texas thing.
    I'm in Denver suburb where open carry is legal (illegal inside Denver city limits) for a decade and still haven't seen a single open carry anywhere except in gun stores.
    Seen some during hiking but very rare.
    Colorado has around 35% gun ownership so looks like most don't show off.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Only three in 11 years? You some kind of recluse? I’ve seen close to 50 I reckon, more so here east of Atlanta than I saw living in Columbus.

While out with my wife at Peachtree Mall in Columbus years back, I saw an older gentleman in overalls with a revolver just shoved in his rear right pocket. I took a picture and wish I still had it.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you're going to open frigging carry, a J-frame would seem to me to be about a low-wattage a choice as there is.
    Curiously, I’ve actually seen a lot of bikers (after buying some lottery tickets and smokes, this dude, who was the spitting image of Waingro, rode away on some kind of giant motorcycle) open carry disproportionately small guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    While out with my wife at Peachtree Mall in Columbus years back, I saw an older gentleman in overalls with a revolver just shoved in his rear right pocket. I took a picture and wish I still had it.
    Yep. Last summer at a fro-yo place I saw a dude pocket carrying a full-sized S&W 3rd gen auto in cargo shorts. Poorly. At least it’s a DA pistol, though, assuming a round was in the chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Only three in 11 years? You some kind of recluse? I’ve seen close to 50 I reckon, more so here east of Atlanta than I saw living in Columbus.
    We live in a blue county, probably not as many people packing here as in some locales. That will be changing soon, we are moving.

Site Supporter
    At least the dude was not open carrying a long gun, which seemed to be the preferred way for open carriers to make us all look bad a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Dude making open carriers look bad

Unless you're at a dude ranch, a cowboy action shoot or in the woods hunting, then "open carrying", especially in urban areas populated mostly by the gun non-cognoscenti, almost always looks out of place, IMNSHO.

I don't want anyone to know I'm armed, ever, for any reason, unless and until a genuine urgency (and one genuinely requiring a firearm response specifically from me) should occur.

I don't want anyone to "notice" me.
    I don't feel a need to "proclaim my Second Amendment rights" by displaying a gun on my person.

I frankly consider those who "open carry" in public among people whom they have no reason to expect to be "gun-savvy", to be either attention-seeking exhibitionists or emotionally-immature "gun-hobbyists".

And yes, I'm an old curmudgeon.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 06-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List