Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grass Fed/Finished Beef vs Grain: Your Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Cows do not “naturally” eat grains.
    Cows naturally eat just about anything, including plants that will kill them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post

Cows do not “naturally” eat grains.
    Then why did we have to put up a fence around the corn patch?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Then why did we have to put up a fence around the corn patch?
    Because cows can taste sweet things?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Because cows can taste sweet things?
    Indeed they can. The custom cattle that we raised very much enjoyed apples. Even though they started as range cattle (which for the uninitiated, are very capable AND willing to kill you if you get between a cow and her bawling calf) after months of being made to eat their vegetables before dessert (apples), they would come when called and eat the apples from one's hand.

They liked their corn. That tote has about 1500lbs of rolled corn, and that was just one of many.

Name:  Corn2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Corn.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  60.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Well I'm just a podunk ex farm-kid, but where I'm from corn was considered a type of grass. At least, before Roundup-ready corn was invented, Roundup would happily kill it while largely not affecting broadleaves. That's what we had 2,4-D and Banvel for. 30 years ago, I'm talking.

And to further add to this discussion, not only will cattle eat various and sundry plants, but your tame 4-H steer will also happily eat a McDonald's Quarter Pounder right out of your hand if you let him.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    And to further add to this discussion, not only will cattle eat various and sundry plants, but your tame 4-H steer will also happily eat a McDonald's Quarter Pounder right out of your hand if you let him.
    As will many teen humans and even toddlers.

None of this changes that the cow “system” was not designed around grain consumption.

User Tag List