Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grass Fed/Finished Beef vs Grain: Your Thoughts?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've seen mention of grass fed beef being better than the grain fed beef.
    If you're interested in such topics, I'd strongly recommend checking out this book. It's a solid overview of the current science on those debates.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Are McDonald’s-fed humans worth the premium?

Cows do not “naturally” eat grains. My preference is to eat food that are grown / raised in its most natural state. If that’s not a priority for people than the premium is likely not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post

Cows do not “naturally” eat grains. My preference is to eat food that are grown / raised in its most natural state. If that’s not a priority for people than the premium is likely not worth it.
    No, but personally I like the humans that eat the Salsa Verde Dorritos, I like the kick.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Cows do not “naturally” eat grains. My preference is to eat food that are grown / raised in its most natural state.
    I guess it depends on how we define naturally. In my experience cattle will graze on corn and sorghum as it stands in the field. After harvest they'll graze through and clean up anything the combine leaves behind. They even wander into sunflowers after harvest. Yes, they needed man to plant the fields but choice to eat grain was all on them.

The amber waves of grain on the family ranch. This is typical of what Wyoming “non grass fed” cattle eat for nearly the entirety of their lives.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The amber waves of grain on the family ranch. This is typical of what Wyoming “non grass fed” cattle eat for nearly the entirety of their lives.
    Ya'll hiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Ya'll hiring?
    I’d be there first, gotta get dat pension though
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If you're interested in such topics, I'd strongly recommend checking out this book. It's a solid overview of the current science on those debates.
    My local library had it on the shelves, so I got it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’d be there first, gotta get dat pension though
    Here's hoping you post pics like @Lost River when you get there!

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I guess it depends on how we define naturally. In my experience cattle will graze on corn and sorghum as it stands in the field. After harvest they'll graze through and clean up anything the combine leaves behind. They even wander into sunflowers after harvest. Yes, they needed man to plant the fields but choice to eat grain was all on them.
    Well since cows don't occur naturally, they were domesticated from aurochs, the whole argument about what naturally occurs in their diet is kind of pointless. If we want to talk about what wild ruminants eat, and extrapolate from that I'm all ears.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I will submit that man is not less natural than bovine, and that discovering that feeding bovine cereal grains makes the meat more enjoyable is an exercise of man's nature, and thus is just another element of "the natural state" of things.

User Tag List