Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Brass Knuckles

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

RFI: Brass Knuckles

Gov. Abbott recently signed a law decriminalizing the carry of brass knuckles in Texas. It will go into effect later this year.

So... what's to know about these things? Worthwhile to have on you, or just another knickknack taking up space in your EDC?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I may or may not have a had a passing acquaintance with them sometime in my former years.
    They can be highly effective in the right persons hands, however the optics of using them in a self defense situation are terrible.
    Legal or not, the use of them may cast oneself in the vein of thuggery, loan shark's, and mafia enforcers.

A shot to the head could certainly cause death, crushed eye sockets, and enough reconstructive dental work to allow Dr. Sherman House to retire early.

A pocket carried flashlight to the noggin seems quite a bit more benign by comparison.

Not a lot of jury appeal imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

your edc flashlight works well in place of the old "roll of quarters"

I saw that Texas bill signing article. Amazing, really.

True brass knucks are most def lethal tools. A pair in the hands of someone who can box is nothing to trifle with. A good set of vintage-style cop brass knuckles running 11-15oz is great fun to (gently) hit old wooden beams and posts with. If the finger holes are too thick, they can transfer force laterally to your index and pinky fingers; no bueno. I wouldn’t carry them, but if they’re legal in your state, you may as well buy a nice set just for kicks—even the good ones are relatively inexpensive. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm going off memory that's pretty old...

But I recall a thread (might've been a post) on @SouthNarc's TPI forum where Craig Douglas (I think) was showing off his vintage knuckles.

One thing I noticed straightaway was that the holes for your fingers were oval not round, and the walls between the ovals were a lot thinner.

---

15 minutes later...

---

Found it! https://www.totalprotectioninteracti...hool-nastiness

You'll have to log in (or create an account if you don't have one) but that's the thread.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

But I recall a thread (might've been a post) on @SouthNarc's TPI forum where Craig Douglas (I think) was showing off his vintage knuckles.

One thing I noticed straightaway was that the holes for your fingers were oval not round, and the walls between the ovals were a lot thinner.
    The oval hole/vintage design is what I was trying to get at earlier. Unsurprisingly, @SouthNarc said it first, and better.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I wouldn’t carry them, but if they’re legal in your state, you may as well buy a nice set just for kicks—even the good ones are relatively inexpensive. JMO.
    Where, exactly, might one go about buying real, proper set of knuckles? While I haven't really been looking all that hard, I have kept my eyes open in case I would see some for sale somewhere, and I've never found any for sale that were made by someone who actually knows what they were doing.

(I wouldn't carry them either, but it would be neat to own a set.)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Where, exactly, might one go about buying real, proper set of knuckles? While I haven't really been looking all that hard, I have kept my eyes open in case I would see some for sale somewhere, and I've never found any for sale that were made by someone who actually knows what they were doing.

(I wouldn't carry them either, but it would be neat to own a set.)
    One possible idea (check out the robbie dalton, or the 1864 NY metro repros):

https://knockoutknucks.com/collections/premium-knuckles

Most of their website is total junk, but the real brass section has a few quality pieces.

Also, a search on Rob Dalton brass knuckles will yield fruit—but much or it would be a real courtroom nightmare, due to the engraving themes...

Custom
    https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/387335.html

Production
    https://www.directknifesales.com/dal....html?page=all

FWIW

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Gov. Abbott recently signed a law decriminalizing the carry of brass knuckles in Texas. It will go into effect later this year.

So... what's to know about these things? Worthwhile to have on you, or just another knickknack taking up space in your EDC?
    Unless I were on my own property, I would hesitate to use such. But I can think of many better alternatives having much less stigma for a jury.

User Tag List