Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NRA 32 H&R and 327 Federal Mag Gel Tests

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Thanks for the OP! The article has a picture of my 432. It's been my EDC for a month or so after my back went ballistic on me and I switch to something light, with a couple of speed strips. My 327 is the discontinued 632 3" hammered and comp'ed SS finish gun. Folks like it at matches - outlaw revolver?

If I were Smith, I might do another run of 327 J's - if they can do a light weight one. They did have a SS model. Should have grabbed one.
    I wonder how a lightweight GP100 might work. Could Ruger do something like the Clapp 3" model with an aluminium frame? Would it hold up to 327 Mag? Probably certainly fine as a 32 H&R.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

How many rounds could they fit in a night cobra cylinder or k frame?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How many rounds could they fit in a night cobra cylinder or k frame?
    As I'm sure you know Ruger crams 6 into an Sp101 and LCR and 7 into the Single Six and GP100. I assume Colt could do the same with the Cobra and S&W with the K.

Granted the GP is a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder how a lightweight GP100 might work. Could Ruger do something like the Clapp 3" model with an aluminium frame? Would it hold up to 327 Mag? Probably certainly fine as a 32 H&R.

.327 Federal Magnum is a pretty high pressure round, higher than .357 Mag even before SAAMI dropped the max because of all the air weights being produced in .357. It's also higher the .44 Mag

It's over double the max pressure of the .32 H&R Mag.
    It's 3000 PSI higher than the .30-30.
    It is 7,500 PSI higher than 10mm.
    It is 5000 PSI higher than .357 Sig.
    It is 6500 PSI higher than 9mm +P and 10,000 PSI higher than 9x19mm.
    It is the same max pressure as 7.62x39mm at 45,000 PSI.

I have a 4" 16-4 in .32 Mag that I thought about having the cylinder bored out to accept .327s until I started reading up on the pressures. It's a bit more than a hot rodded .32 Mag, more like the top fuel dragster of the .32 caliber family.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Startling, really. Out of eight loads only one is under 12" after clothing. And that one load is only .66" from making it.

Older info on Double Tap's .32 H&R Mag load.

If this really does 12" and opens to half an inch it should be a good defense load with light recoil.

No mention of what barrier such as FBI clothing or IWBA denim might have been used to test.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-grain-tac-xp/

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-01-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Hornady Critical Duty 135gr 357 Mag does 15" in gel from a snub which should make it ideal for personal protection. Plus it isn't crazy hot so recoil is tolerable from a tiny handgun.

The Gold Dot or Hydra Shok 327s do close but not as deep as the 357 but then again we're getting 6 instead of 5 shots from similarly sized revolvers.

What I'd personally love to see is a Ruger medium frame LCR. Something built along the same lines as the current LCR but closer to a K frame or Security 6. Something that's still light, handy and easy to carry but with a cylinder that holds 7 rounds of 327. Or 6 rounds of 357. Or, while we're at it, 5 rounds of 44 Special.

Surely Ruger has done the design work. I can't imagine they haven't already thought of such a critter. So what's the hold up?

Here's something for the most recoil sensitive. But I can't imagine the semi-jacketed HP will do much of anything at the listed muzzle velocity:

https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's something for the most recoil sensitive. But I can't imagine the semi-jacketed HP will do much of anything at the listed muzzle velocity:

https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html
    .32 S&W is fun, but it's not in the same ballpark as H&R, or the same sport as .327. The only reason I have .32 S&W brass for the next rimfire panic. I can load heavier bullets but have the .22 feel.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The only reason I have .32 S&W brass for the next rimfire panic. I can load heavier bullets but have the .22 feel.
    I can see that. Ammo loaded like that would make great familiarization and training ammo for a newbie. Especially in something like an LCR.

User Tag List