Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA 32 H&R and 327 Federal Mag Gel Tests

NRA 32 H&R and 327 Federal Mag Gel Tests

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ed-32-magnums/

Here's a combo of cartridges we don't hear much about. Smith (and a few others) made revolvers for both but those are discontinued. I think Ruger is the only source now for a .327 Federal Magnum. Of course anything chambered in .327 should work fine with the little .32 H&R in case someone wants the lower recoil.

I don't think I would have previously really considered either cartridge for defense. But maybe I've been closed minded?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ed-32-magnums/

Here's a combo of cartridges we don't hear much about. Smith (and a few others) made revolvers for both but those are discontinued. I think Ruger is the only source now for a .327 Federal Magnum. Of course anything chambered in .327 should work fine with the little .32 H&R in case someone wants the lower recoil.

I don't think I would have previously really considered either cartridge for defense. But maybe I've been closed minded?
    My concern about niche cartridges like this is availability of quality defensive ammo from major manufacturers down the road. Kind of like 9x23 and even .38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    My concern about niche cartridges like this is availability of quality defensive ammo from major manufacturers down the road. Kind of like 9x23 and even .38 Super.
    Certainly a concern but, for now at least, Federal and CCI are making the FM.

I wonder what prompted Hornady to make an H&R rather than an FM load. I'd think the Critical Defense bullet, bumped up to 90-100 grains and pushed to a bit higher velocity, would do quite well. As is it nearly meets FBI minimum specs.

Also, it looks like Speer has dropped the 115gr 327 load for some reason. The only Gold Dot load currently available appears to be the 100 grain.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

.32 Mag has been around for close to 35 years and shows no signs of going away. So there’s that to consider. The .327 is now chambered in a rifle so it is slowly gaining acceptance and popularity.

As far as quality defensive ammo, how much would one need, especially a revolver that doesn’t cause bullets to set back in the cases? 1000 rounds would last most people a lifetime if a ‘quality target round’ is substituted for practice.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Federal, Black Hills and Buffalo Bore are all apparently using a Hornady XTP for their loads.

Site Supporter
    True, stock up when the ammo is available. I suppose one shouldn’t turn down a better option just because it might not still be viable in 5 or 10 years.

True, stock up when the ammo is available. I suppose one shouldn’t turn down a better option just because it might not still be viable in 5 or 10 years.
    How old is the .327? It is fairly recent in the scheme of handgun cartridges.

Probably the biggest thing driving its unpopularity is that it is a revolver cartridge introduced at a time when most discussions are focused on semi-automatic pistols and 9 vs 40. Stuff like that.

Now with what seems to be a reprisal of the revolver as a defensive firearm we might see some traction.

A Colt Cobra in 32? Might be nifty....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How old is the .327? It is fairly recent in the scheme of handgun cartridges.

Probably the biggest thing driving its unpopularity is that it is a revolver cartridge introduced at a time when most discussions are focused on semi-automatic pistols and 9 vs 40. Stuff like that.

Now with what seems to be a reprisal of the revolver as a defensive firearm we might see some traction.

A Colt Cobra in 32? Might be nifty....

I picked up a 3” .22 LCRx as s training tool a while back and like it, maybe I’ll give the LCR a shot and add it to my rotation of J frames for lounge around the house carry in my cargo shorts pocket...

Charter Arms revolvers are somewhat goofy. But maybe they got something right here?

https://youtu.be/khMoeDBHAuE

I picked up a 3” .22 LCRx as s training tool a while back and like it, maybe I’ll give the LCR a shot and add it to my rotation of J frames for lounge around the house carry in my cargo shorts pocket...
    As you probably know, Ruger makes a 3" SP101 in 327. Its additional weight is probably nice when shooting the 327 stuff. The additional inch of barrel might help terminal performance too.

User Tag List