Thread: Boxing - Fights, news, etc.

Boxing - Fights, news, etc.

We should have a running thread for boxing news and fight discussion.

Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz coming up tomorrow night for most of the belts. Ruiz has a better chance than many give him -if- his head is in it. Some of the coverage I've seen leads me to believe his focus is on the excitement of getting to the big dance and his newfound pocket change. What's your prediction?

And new heavyweight champion of the world! Andy Ruiz ko's Anthony Joshua in his USA debut. AJ got rocked multiple times by a guy who probably isn't even a true heavyweight if he leaned out. Ruiz just shook up the HW division and cost two of the biggest names a 9-figure payday.

This is why my love and my hatred for boxing are equal. I love the sport, I hate the politics.

We're never going to see Wilder/Fury 2, and now we're never gonna see AJ/Wilder. The three best heavyweights in the world are fighting scrubs instead of each other.

I'm happy for Ruiz, but the fight was reminiscent of Bisping/Rockhold in the UFC. The champ appeared to take his opponent lightly and paid dearly for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    This is why my love and my hatred for boxing are equal. I love the sport, I hate the politics.

We're never going to see Wilder/Fury 2, and now we're never gonna see AJ/Wilder. The three best heavyweights in the world are fighting scrubs instead of each other.

I'm happy for Ruiz, but the fight was reminiscent of Bisping/Rockhold in the UFC. The champ appeared to take his opponent lightly and paid dearly for it.
    Boxing politics are something else.

Wilder announced a couple days ago the rematch with Fury is on and both fighters have signed the contract. Wilder vs AJ could still happen but it's never going to have the same luster.

I'm not sure AJ took Ruiz lightly. Ruiz has a style that's tailor made for beating guys like AJ and Wilder. Hand speed and legit head movement are the great equalizers.

I randomly happened upon a Lomachenko highlights video, holy shit it was impressive.

#RESIST

I was a huge fan of the sweet science for decades but I rarely watch a match anymore. (Unless it is one of particular interest for some reason.)

In general I find MMA more compelling, though it has gotten pretty stale as well, and the b.s. is starting to reach professional wrestling levels.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Boxing politics are something else.

Wilder announced a couple days ago the rematch with Fury is on and both fighters have signed the contract. Wilder vs AJ could still happen but it's never going to have the same luster.

I'm not sure AJ took Ruiz lightly. Ruiz has a style that's tailor made for beating guys like AJ and Wilder. Hand speed and legit head movement are the great equalizers.
    I rewatched the fight last night without the presence of about 20 other dudes yelling at the tv in a crowded sports bar, and I realized my assessment of the fight was wrong about AJ not taking him seriously. After seeing it in the comfort on my living room, it's clear he just got tuned up by someone who's style he couldn't overcome.

User Tag List