Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie at the range... shooting extremely high and left...

@lwt16 I like that idea with the revolver a lot. The stove pipe bit got me too, as I haven't seen one of my P30's do that since I first started shooting.
    I'll see if I can get her to come over for a little bit and practice some dry fire with the laser.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

A RDS equipped pistol (as much as I am putting off getting into them) will assist even an experienced shooter to show them where their trigger press sucks.

I had a RDS Sig X5 on my bench to detail strip and check over and took it to see how the RDS thing was. It was pretty immediate in telling me "hey, your trigger press.....even though you thought it was G2G......it sucks and needs work".

Doubt I would try that on a newbie because I want them to learn trigger press and sights old school to get them on paper. Advanced trigger press work can wait until later.

The laser dry fire thing might show her all she needs to know.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by lwt16; 06-01-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    I would second the idea of milking the grip, especially without a solid support hand grip. I tend to shoot high left when I am not focusing and that's usually the reason.
    I suppose it could also be a variant of a flinch where she is crush gripping it in her firing hand as she pulls the trigger to try and control recoil.

Huf,
    I know I'm a little late to the party here but I had some thoughts based on a student that was experiencing the same thing.
    About a year ago I had a young lady in class that was new to shooting.
    After covering the usual sight alignment, trigger press, grip etc. everyone was set up in front of targets on the line.
    The cardboard backers are about 2x3 feet with target affixed. From 10 feet she was not on paper. Odd! Suspecting what she was doing from standing behind her and watching the gun I had her aim at the very bottom of the target and got hits on paper about 18 inches high and centered.
    So working with her we established that she understood the above basic concepts. As usual we also drummed into their heads about hard focusing on the front sight. She took that literally. She was so hard focused on the front sight that she would lift it out of the rear sight picture (so she could see it better) to make the shot.
    I had her align her sights and put her finger on the trigger all while keeping that alignment and I put my finger over hers and pressed the trigger for her.
    Center hit. The light came on and she shot exceptionally well after that.
    Others have already mentioned "milking the gun". I've always thought of that as "heeling the gun" or pushing the heel of the hand into the back of the grip to mitigate felt recoil as opposed to controlling the recoil.
    A combination of these could explain the high left hits and the stovepipe.
    Just thinking out loud here.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

A friend's wife was shooting over like that.
    He said she had had eye surgery and I am not sure that fully restored normal vision.
    If I can get her to the range again, I will let her try a pistol with big white dots to put in a row across the target and a red dot equipped gun.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Newbie to guns, and you already ran her through different calibers? What distance were those high and left? How big were the targets? How long were you shooting?

My feeling, correct me if I'm wrong though, you just rushed the newbie to everything rather than have her enjoy! Too much information too soon, IMO, is not a good thing.

Here is a snippet of me bringing a complete newbie to the range last year.

https://youtu.be/9SJzFcEegyQ

We just focused on 22LR and placement in just center mass at 5-yards. Once she became comfortable did we move to 9mm.

That's it... If she likes it, then take formal training. Then focus on those groups, ie., 1-inch at 5-yards, etc.

Just my few cents..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It's not flinch. Flinch manifests itself as shots dropped straight down 6" to 8" because the shoulders uniformly tense up right before the shot, lowering the muzzle.

First make sure that she understand that she needs to look at the front sight through the rear notch. Then make sure she is not looking over top of her sights to look at her target between each round.

Isolate that first, then worry about grip issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    Newbie to guns, and you already ran her through different calibers? What distance were those high and left? How big were the targets? How long were you shooting?

My feeling, correct me if I'm wrong though, you just rushed the newbie to everything rather than have her enjoy! Too much information too soon, IMO, is not a good thing.

Here is a snippet of me bringing a complete newbie to the range last year.

https://youtu.be/9SJzFcEegyQ

We just focused on 22LR and placement in just center mass at 5-yards. Once she became comfortable did we move to 9mm.

That's it... If she likes it, then take formal training. Then focus on those groups, ie., 1-inch at 5-yards, etc.

Just my few cents..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I didn't rush her through anything, with calibers; I generally bring an assortment, and we try out whatever the person wants to. When we determined there was an issue we were having trouble solving, she was still having fun, and she decided she wanted to experience other firearms as well, regardless of her targeting issues. She left happy and eager to come back, so I'd call it a win regardless of the lack of cool target for her to take home. And please note, she was consistent in her targeting issues, regardless of firearm and caliber. It looks like we're hitting up the range again this coming week as well. When we go back, it'll be with .22LR only.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    It's not flinch. Flinch manifests itself as shots dropped straight down 6" to 8" because the shoulders uniformly tense up right before the shot, lowering the muzzle.

First make sure that she understand that she needs to look at the front sight through the rear notch. Then make sure she is not looking over top of her sights to look at her target between each round.

Isolate that first, then worry about grip issues.
    Thanks. That was pretty much my thinking as well. I'm hoping that, with the inclusion of a laser, it'll be a "duh" moment for both of us as to what was going wrong.

User Tag List