Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Actual 911 call of home invasion

I spent about 25 years living a dozen or so miles north of there, and four years living about three miles south of there. The problems that the Seattle political machine has created slop over into the rest of King County and into other nearby jurisdictions with a vengance. The KCSD has to deal with a shitload of gang activity and drug-related idiocy in addition to all of the problems with homeless people. The town to the south of there, Burien, is supposed to have one of the highest rates of car theft in the nation.

One more example of our elected leaders crippling a good police department and letting a once-nice place to live turn into a complete shithole without the rule of law.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    ... shitload of gang activity and drug-related idiocy in addition to all of the problems with homeless people...
    From what I hear from LEOs in that area, some of the homeless are now involved in gang-related crime. Bad situation...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It depends on what you're shooting. A Def-Tec 25 distraction device is about 175db. An unsuppressed 5.56mm is probably the same or close. Without ear pro both will leave your ears ringing. Even if you can communicate you're doing permanent damage at those decibels. Pistol rounds aren't nearly as bad.
    The only thing I want to add to this is that even if pistol rounds aren't "nearly as bad" they are bad enough to cause permanent damage.

Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. You will suffer permanent hearing loss to a greater or lesser degree from one exposure. 140db is the threshold for permanent damage a gunshot is around 160db anything you can reasonably do to mitigate that would be worthwhile.
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    A bit off topic, but I also find it interesting that the homeowner seemed to be able to hear just fine after firing multiple shots. He had no trouble understanding the 911 operator over the phone.
    I was 13B in the Army and spent most of my career on 8 inch howitzers. I have permanent hearing loss but I was able to speak and hear fire commands during fire missions.

I was in a house when my roommate's girlfriend started shooting holes in our kitchen walls (she murdered our refrigerator with her first shot) and I don't recall and immediate loss of hearing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I was 13B in the Army and spent most of my career on 8 inch howitzers. I have permanent hearing loss but I was able to speak and hear fire commands during fire missions.

I was in a house when my roommate's girlfriend started shooting holes in our kitchen walls (she murdered our refrigerator with her first shot) and I don't recall and immediate loss of hearing
    She seems.....nice. 😀

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    She seems.....nice. 😀
    She was a fucking moonbat and her boyfriend wasn't much better. He was in the Florida National Guard and would bring home cases of MREs every month so he could spend his grocery money on booze. He was laying on the kitchen floor drunk when she got to the house, she started shooting because he wouldn't respond to her yelling.

I haven't seen either one of them in 35 years, I'm sure they've both drank themselves to death by now.

ETA Wow! I just looked him up on Facebeast and he's not only alive but he's apparently sober. Did not see that coming
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-02-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I'm curious about this too. What are the chances of damaging hearing to the point of being unable to communicate usefully over the phone or with LEOs?
    I think it depends somewhat on the person. Some rounds fired from a handgun to my left caused permanent hearing loss and tinnitus for me. And that was outdoors. If I am ever exposed to close gunshots without ear pro again it will probably leave my ears in terrible shape. People with healthy ears probably don't have quite as much to lose from a single incident as someone whose hearing is already greatly compromised.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'm just a layman with no medical knowledge. But I'm going to guess no.

We've had soldiers doing CQB in and around buildings since WW2 with no hearing protection until fairly recently. I think we would have known by now if people routinely lost their entire ability to hear due to gunfire inside rooms.
    Every Infantry soldier I know has tinnitus and hearing loss. I suspect that they were not testing WW2 vets for hearing. I had to have a waiver signed by a GO to remain Infantry. There is a difference between having significant hearing loss and tinnitus and not being able to hear at all. In my case, I lost a lot of high frequency and my ears ring all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I'm curious about this too. What are the chances of damaging hearing to the point of being unable to communicate usefully over the phone or with LEOs?
    Research "Auditory Exclusion".

https://www.samatters.com/understand...ory-exclusion/

The brain, in an effort to help you make sense of what is happening in a high-stress, high-consequence situation, can also filter out what it perceives to be noise – those sounds it determines to be unimportant. Sometimes this can be helpful. Other times it can be devastating.
    How it effects each individual can be drastically different. Knowing what can happen in a high stress situation is important. I have read of cases where a person defending themselves with a firearm wrongly assumed their weapon was malfunctioning because they either didn't hear it or the volume perceived made them think the weapon malfunctioned. Much better to know this ahead of time rather than find out when the SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Every Infantry soldier I know has tinnitus and hearing loss. I suspect that they were not testing WW2 vets for hearing. I had to have a waiver signed by a GO to remain Infantry. There is a difference between having significant hearing loss and tinnitus and not being able to hear at all. In my case, I lost a lot of high frequency and my ears ring all the time.
    Yes, I understand all that. I didn't think I needed to mention that shooting guns inside without protection would lead to damage. That's self evident.

The question was "would you lose hearing to the point of being unable to communicate". My take is that the answer would be no.

User Tag List