Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Actual 911 call of home invasion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Research "Auditory Exclusion".

https://www.samatters.com/understand...ory-exclusion/

How it effects each individual can be drastically different. Knowing what can happen in a high stress situation is important. I have read of cases where a person defending themselves with a firearm wrongly assumed their weapon was malfunctioning because they either didn't hear it or the volume perceived made them think the weapon malfunctioned. Much better to know this ahead of time rather than find out when the SHTF.
    I've had it happen, but an audiologist advised me that just because your brain shut off the soundtrack doesn't mean you didn't do permanent damage.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    One thing to remember is that most cops and most dispatchers will go through their entire career without responding to a home invasion or an incident where a citizen lawfully uses deadly force to defend themselves . . . . you have to consider their unfamiliarity with the situation into your planning.

I have considered keeping a set of Howard Leight active hearing protectors in the bedroom. I think they might come in handy in a burglary or home invasion situation and you can buy them for $50 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    One thing to remember is that most cops and most dispatchers will go through their entire career without responding to a home invasion or an incident where a citizen lawfully uses deadly force to defend themselves . . . . you have to consider their unfamiliarity with the situation into your planning.

I have considered keeping a set of Howard Leight active hearing protectors in the bedroom. I think they might come in handy in a burglary or home invasion situation and you can buy them for $50 or so.
    I have a set on both my and my wife's nightstands. (Hers in her little tupperware container with cell phone, flashlight, landline etc for her to take with her to her designated "safe" space, such as it is, where a firearm is available to her.

If I have time to put mine on, fine. Otherwise they do no harm where they are. (I also have a pair of shooting glasses there, just in case opportunity permits...which I doubt.)
    Last edited by blues; 06-07-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a set on both my and my wife's nightstands. (Hers in her little tupperware container with cell phone, flashlight, landline etc for her to take with her to her designated "safe" space, such as it is, where a firearm is available to her.

If I have time to put mine on, fine. Otherwise they do no harm where they are. (I also have a pair of shooting glasses there, just in case opportunity permits...which I doubt.)
    As above, and some of our layers also include: all windows are casement windows with substantial locks so ingress can only occur by breaking the glass; all entry doors are deadbolted/reinforced with additional Andersen deadbolted storm doors; the entire exterior and the ground floor interior are on cameras viewed from phone/tablet; living in an area whereby the probability is extremely low...

at gunpoint and 26 minute response

That is quite a long response for an area that at least, in cursory examination, does not look to be a distant rural community.

https://www.wfla.com/2050160242
    Last edited by Gray01; 06-07-2019 at 08:18 PM.

User Tag List