Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual 911 call of home invasion

Actual 911 call of home invasion

https://q13fox.com/2019/04/22/deputi...side-his-home/

"Homeowner shoots, kills intruder in White Center"
    "WHITE CENTER, Wash. -- Deputies are investigating a reported burglary and fatal shooting that happened early Monday morning."
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 05-31-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Banned
    There's two things that occur to to me. The first is if two people invade my home and I shoot the first and the second doesn't leave immediately I think that's when I'm really in trouble. Because he knows I shot his buddy and it wasn't enough to drive him from the house that means I would think he's coming for me.

The second thing is I would be scared to death to disarm and then walked through that house knowing that there might still be somebody in there. I mean I know there wasn't but I think I would have stayed in the closet until the cops got to the room.

ETA

After reading the accompanying article I'm very curious to know if the home Invader was a "homeless transient" because that's kind of the impression I got from the article.

Since marijuana was legalized Colorado Springs has become overrun with homeless people, they are everywhere.

My current assignment is relatively safe. I'm locked behind an 8 foot fence my entire shift but before I had this assignment I had to deal with homeless people all night long every night and I learned some things from the experience.

I have never met a homeless person that wasn't armed with something. The last few months they've been catching homeless people breaking into people's cars and stealing guns.

I've also never met a homeless person who hasn't been involved in multiple violent encounters. The homeless population of Colorado Springs is a very violent subculture. They attack each other all the time and it never makes the news because they're homeless. I suspect the powers that be don't want it to become known how bad the problem is. Based on my past experience if I do have to deal with a homeless person at work I keep my distance and I never ever turn my back on them.

As I said I don't have any direct contact now but I watch them ride their bikes up and down the street outside my fence all night long. They'll leave with little empty trailers on the back of their bikes and come back in an hour or so later and those trailers are full.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-31-2019 at 03:57 AM.

The last thing I'm going to do in a home invasion is go hide in a closet. My living situation means that such a course of action abandons my wife and child to the intruders. I will do the exact opposite. Not bravado. Just a statement of facts.

As for the guy who won't leave after having his partner smoked, well he should know he's next immediately.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-31-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Banned
    It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-31-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Where do you prefer to hide, in the closet or under the bed?

Site Supporter
    Absolutely not way I'm disarming and walking past a downed but not dead intruder, through an uncleared house.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I don't know how to judge the police response in this case, but I will say it was not nearly as fast as the police response to a home invasion that occurred at the house behind ours a few years back. In that case, officers and and a police helicopter appeared at the scene within a few short minutes. Quite a contrast, but I don't know which is more typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The last thing I'm going to do in a home invasion is go hide in a closet. My living situation means that such a course of action abandons my wife and child to the intruders. I will do the exact opposite.
    If there are people in the home that you need to protect, then of course defending them should be the first priority.

I don't normally rush to criticize people who have had such an encounter, but in the case being discussed I'm pretty sure I would have yelled to the intruder to get the hell out of my house, let them know I'm armed and police are on the way. If I was alone and decided for whatever reason not to confront the person, I wouldn't be hiding -- I'd try to convince them it was in their best interest to leave immediately.

And disarming to walk back through the house doesn't seem like a smart thing to do, but it brings up interesting questions about the inevitable interaction with responding officers.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Absolutely not way I'm disarming and walking past a downed but not dead intruder, through an uncleared house.
    ^^^^This^^^^

And no way I'm disarming, if LE has not made entry, until I know I'm clear and about to exit the home to place myself in the custody of the deputies.

Good recording to give folks an idea of just how long it takes for help to arrive, and when it does, it may still depend upon oneself to safely exit the premises.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I don't normally rush to criticize people who have had such an encounter, but in the case being discussed I'm pretty sure I would have yelled to the intruder to get the hell out of my house, let them know I'm armed and police are on the way. If I was alone and decided for whatever reason not to confront the person, I wouldn't be hiding -- I'd try to convince them it was in their best interest to leave immediately.
    I think you're on the right track, but people tend to fall back on their training; in the case of most Americans, their training is to be submissive and non-confrontational. Law-abiding Americans who haven't been in a fist-fight before are very, very passive people in actual incidents. Most people don't even have the internal fortitude to get involved with a car accident or some other medical incident. Even most brand new EMTs and most brand-new LEOs have to re-learn behaviors and get comfortable talking to people, giving commands, and putting their hands on people as it's counter to everything we've been taught since a young age.

Obviously he wasn't submissive when it came time to do some shooting, but there's a reason that Craig has people walk around yelling at each other in ECQC during that first 4 hour Friday night session, and there's a reason that drill sergeants practice yelling at trees. Being overtly aggressive and announcing your presence, yelling at a stranger, and giving commands is not something that most people are comfortable doing....so when in an actual stressful life or death situation, I'm going to guess that most people are going to do the same thing he did.

IMO.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-31-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Unload and disarm yourself. Unreal.

User Tag List