Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: If this is true...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It is not named originally after the recently deceased Senator.

If adding his name, after the fact, to join the other McCains for his service - sets your hair on fire - enjoy your outrage. There are less deserving folks with ships named after them. Opposing Trump is a mortal sin in the ideas of the thought police, I take it. I certainly hope they never name anything after Senator Lindsay G. or Sen. Cruz who said Trump was a psycho.
    I like naming a ship after Graham or Cruz a lot more than Giffords. In fact, I think Graham and Cruz are alright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gabrielle_Giffords
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like naming a ship after Graham or Cruz a lot more than Giffords. In fact, I think Graham and Cruz are alright.

I want to make a joke about a Gifford’s ship, but I know I’m not supposed to[emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are running low on names, we should use the British standard. They know how to name ships:
    Victorious, Illustrious, Warspite, Colossus, Lion, Terror, for example.

yes, Terror. If the marines could have their own ship, it would be named Terror.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

I would agree on the general principle that naming ships after living politicians is just pandering to something or other. I would not name a ship after a politician for at least 75 years after their death. Carriers shouldn't be named for Bush, Ford, Reagan. Subs for Carter - no. The Zumwalt for LBJ might be ok as that class is a flop as he was (sarcasm tag).

To be named for a politician - must be a legit war leader like the Roosevelts, Lincoln, Washinton or Truman - plus a history of service and, as I said, significantly removed in time. I can see the Kennedy ships as an outpouring of grief and he was legit service member.

The Gabby - no.

BTW - there used to be a similar mandate about living politicians on US coinage. Our coinage is not like the UK with the current Monarch. It was violated on some commemoratives with outrage, then on the failed $1 coins with Presidents. Nothing like a pocket full of Nixons and Clintons for your impeachment set.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-03-2019 at 10:55 AM.

This whole fabricated outrage - filed under "things I don't give a shit about"

I would agree on the general principle that naming ships after living politicians is just pandering to something or other. I would not name a ship after a politician for at least 75 years after their death. Carriers shouldn't be named for Bush, Ford, Reagan. Subs for Carter - no. The Zumwalt for LBJ might be ok as that class is a flop as he was (sarcasm tag).

To be named for a politician - must be a legit war leader like the Roosevelts, Lincoln, Washinton or Truman - plus a history of service and, as I said, significantly removed in time. I can see the Kennedy ships as an outpouring of grief and he was legit service member.

The Gabby - no.
    I'm just curious, did you ever serve in the US Navy?

The Gabby - no.

BTW - there used to be a similar mandate about living politicians on US coinage. Our coinage is not like the UK with the current Monarch. It was violated on some commemoratives with outrage, then on the failed $1 coins with Presidents. Nothing like a pocket full of Nixons and Clintons for your impeachment set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'm just curious, did you ever serve in the US Navy?
    Just asking because you sure are full of opinions about it......

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Just asking because you sure are full of opinions about it......
    What, you never heard of naval navel gazing?

Last edited by blues; 06-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What, you never heard of naval navel gazing?

Oh, have heard worse.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Nothing like a pocket full of Nixons and Clintons for your impeachment set.
    I knew a guy who used to offer to place casual bets with $3 Clinton bills in the '90s.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List