Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If this is true...

While just sitting down to breakfast I saw a report from Barbara Starr on CNN stating that her information and sources indicate that there were benign reasons for the tarp across the name of the vessel, as well as the positioning of the barge, related to repair work on the McCain. She further reported that there was no order (that she was aware of) trying to hide or otherwise disperse the ship's personnel.

Additionally, she quoted the Acting Sec. of Defense stating that he would not approve any such action, that he would not dishonor the memory of Sen. McCain, an American hero, (his words), nor the men and women of the vessel by doing so.

I hope this turns out to be the true story and that someone ginned this up. (And pays the price for so doing.)

They also showed a clip of POTUS in the Rose Garden denying knowledge of who did this, but saying that whomever may have given the order did so with good intentions knowing that he did not care for Sen. McCain. Then, after posthumously trashing McCain (once again) he went on to say that he would never have done this. (Classless, but at least not nearly as disgraceful as the allegations made in the article in the OP.)
    Last edited by blues; 05-30-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Didn't a reporter from Time just get in trouble for pushing a false story about a tweet?

Seems we live in an age where the media is pushing such disinformation it would make Pravda proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Didn't a reporter from Time just get in trouble for pushing a false story about a tweet?

Seems we live in an age where the media is pushing such disinformation it would make Pravda proud.
    I don't know but I will say I'm all for trying, convicting, tar and feathering anyone who knowingly uses the media to perpetrate false reports (such as the matter in this thread).

I know we cannot control social media, or at least have not so far found a way that works within the guidelines of the Constitution...but as for newspapers, TV and the major online sources, there have to be consequences (if such can be proven).

It's unconscionable to fabricate such stories.

"That is at least as bad as the fact that a petty childish act by the president is somewhat plausible."

"petty childish act by the president" reminds me: if you're ever at the Museum of Flight in Seattle you can tour the original (707) Air Force One, and see LBJ's conference table. The table was motorized - he could push a button and raise the table. He was a tall guy, and apparently if he didn't like what you were saying he'd raise the table so it was halfway up your chest.

There is something about a career in politics that seems to attract unpleasant people.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    While just sitting down to breakfast I saw a report from Barbara Starr on CNN stating that her information and sources indicate that there were benign reasons for the tarp across the name of the vessel, as well as the positioning of the barge, related to repair work on the McCain. She further reported that there was no order (that she was aware of) trying to hide or otherwise disperse the ship's personnel.

Additionally, she quoted the Acting Sec. of Defense stating that he would not approve any such action, that he would not dishonor the memory of Sen. McCain, an American hero, (his words), nor the men and women of the vessel by doing so.

I hope this turns out to be the true story and that someone ginned this up. (And pays the price for so doing.)

They also showed a clip of POTUS in the Rose Garden denying knowledge of who did this, but saying that whomever may have given the order did so with good intentions knowing that he did not care for Sen. McCain. Then, after posthumously trashing McCain (once again) he went on to say that he would never have done this. (Classless, but at least not nearly as disgraceful as the allegations made in the article in the OP.)
    It's probably no different than the Paris affair, where he cancelled a cemetery visit because it was raining. "Oh the horror!"

Yeah, it was raining and the birds couldn't fly him there, and driving it would've necessitated cancelling the entire rest of the day's plan, not to mention he was still hitting a different American cemetery the next morning....

But, by golly, if you took the news for face value he was pretty much on the same level of Jeff Dahmer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's probably no different than the Paris affair, where he cancelled a cemetery visit because it was raining. "Oh the horror!"

Yeah, it was raining and the birds couldn't fly him there, and driving it would've necessitated cancelling the entire rest of the day's plan, not to mention he was still hitting a different American cemetery the next morning....

But, by golly, if you took the news for face value he was pretty much on the same level of Jeff Dahmer.
    I sincerely hope you're right, T.

Our servicemen and women deserve better. Our country deserves better. The late Sen. McCain and his family deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    WSJ is reporting the same story.
    https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1133918353490403329
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Would it be wrong, after keelhauling, to use the SEAL trident to finish the job if it turns out this story was a complete fabrication and the responsible individual can be identified?

(Seems reasonable to me.)

The USS John McCain is in Yokosuka Navy Yard for repairs related to its August 2017 collision and those repairs are not slated to be fully completed until late 2019. A ship with tarps and a barge moored next to it is a big nothing story.... Reporters be desperate for a paycheck and will write shit that sells. That does not excuse shitty messaging from the president or his office after the fact but this seems to me to be someone trying to connect dots that do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    The USS John McCain is in Yokosuka Navy Yard for repairs related to its August 2017 collision and those repairs are not slated to be fully completed until late 2019. A ship with tarps and a barge moored next to it is a big nothing story.... Reporters be desperate for a paycheck and will write shit that sells. That does not excuse shitty messaging from the president or his office after the fact but this seems to me to be someone trying to connect dots that do not exist.
    Indeed. Here's another irrelevant point made by the WSJ trying to connect dots that don't connect and will never connect:
    The Journal also reported that sailors on the ship, who normally wear caps with its name, were given the day off when Trump gave his address.
    If you're unfamiliar with shipboard life and routine, this has all sorts of nefarious connotations. If you are familiar with shipboard life and routine, you can safely call the above statement complete bullshit. What's most likely true is that all of the McCain's crew not in that day's duty section were given the opportunity to knock off the day's work IF they wanted to attend the CinC's visit on a nearby ship.

User Tag List