Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: East Coast coyote hunting newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm no expert by any means, but one thing I always wondered about electronic calls is if they are emitting any frequencies we can't hear that would put off a critter.

BTW, I have one of those mechanized critter tail shakers if you want to try some visual stimulation along with the calls. I've also read that using prey urine in combination with calls and visuals really helps pull in predators.

I never got around to trying it last season, but my plan for bear was the Primos Sit n Spin Crazy Critter, rabbit urine spray, and a rabbit call.

Chris
    Thanks, man. Last night was really loud with ambient noise due to people being people despite the rural location. Happily, I'm now in with the farm's neighbors whom offered me hunting rights on their property which has better spots Hopefully this makes for good whitetail hunting rights
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thanks, man. Last night was really loud with ambient noise due to people being people despite the rural location. Happily, I'm now in with the farm's neighbors whom offered me hunting rights on their property which has better spots Hopefully this makes for good whitetail hunting rights
    Have you considered setting up some game cameras to see if the 'yotes (and deer, etc) are coming around on their own?

If you wan to borrow the critter decoy, let me know.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Have you considered setting up some game cameras to see if the 'yotes (and deer, etc) are coming around on their own?

If you wan to borrow the critter decoy, let me know.

Chris
    Oh yeah, that's the next step (game cam). Thank you on the critter decoy, I'll let you know.
    #RESIST

Never hunted eastern coyotes but here are a few things to consider.

If you are after coyotes, try pup distress. This time of year when they come to it, they will be looking for a brawl.

It's generally a good idea to try to appeal to multiple triggers. Start with a lone howl or two, then give them a couple of minutes of rodent squeaks in case there is one real close, wait a couple of minutes then some rabbit for ten minutes or so. Finish with pup distress.

Appeal to hunger, territory, maternal/paternal, social and curiosity(crow and raccoon sounds). No telling which button is the right one on a given day. It's good to cover the bases.

Side note: I have buggered as many coyotes with a motion decoy as I have killed over one. Maybe even more. I have seen them swap ends so fast when they spotted it I expected to hear their tail crack like a whip. I like to keep them searching for the sound, but as stated, you have to hold quite still.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Never hunted eastern coyotes but here are a few things to consider.

If you are after coyotes, try pup distress. This time of year when they come to it, they will be looking for a brawl.

It's generally a good idea to try to appeal to multiple triggers. Start with a lone howl or two, then give them a couple of minutes of rodent squeaks in case there is one real close, wait a couple of minutes then some rabbit for ten minutes or so. Finish with pup distress.

Appeal to hunger, territory, maternal/paternal, social and curiosity(crow and raccoon sounds). No telling which button is the right one on a given day. It's good to cover the bases.

Side note: I have buggered as many coyotes with a motion decoy as I have killed over one. Maybe even more. I have seen them swap ends so fast when they spotted it I expected to hear their tail crack like a whip. I like to keep them searching for the sound, but as stated, you have to hold quite still.
    Thanks, man! Good data. Last night I tried fawn in distress and the coyote pup call. We've got a few (shockingly few) cottontails out here, I'll give that a shot as well.
    #RESIST

I suspect you might have greater success using a call (diaphragm mouth call or an electronic caller) and hunting in the woods using a well patterning shotgun.

These guys (MFK Game Calls) have it down to an art form ......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0V...NZrs_t8EFfm7RQ
    Last edited by 41magfan; 06-05-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Nothing productive to add other than this is in my neck of the woods and looks fun. I'll be following closely.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Nothing productive to add other than this is in my neck of the woods and looks fun. I'll be following closely.
    Yeah, I lucked out on the location.
    #RESIST

Struck out a third time. Jesus, it can be LOUD with noise from the neighbors in the NoVA “country.” Got an answering howl to a pop in distress call last night and then the fucking neighbors starting running their ATV.

On the bright side, just lucked into another farm to hunt (42 acres)

Saturday, I decided to check the DBAL D2’s zero with the visible laser at about 40 yards. KAC SR30 11.5”, Silencerco Saker 7.62. Pow! Ting! First round hit with my hunting ammo. I’m ok with that from the standing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    On the bright side, just lucked into another farm to hunt (42 acres)
    That's pretty awesome man, congrats. I imagine it's easier to connect with land-owning folks out where you are. Definitely keep taking advantage of that - I wish there were more options to locate huntable land out here (outside of the fairfax county park program).

At some point, that's going to be one of the key factors that drives me to a state with more public hunting land.

User Tag List