Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: East Coast coyote hunting newbie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    That's pretty awesome man, congrats. I imagine it's easier to connect with land-owning folks out where you are. Definitely keep taking advantage of that - I wish there were more options to locate huntable land out here (outside of the fairfax county park program).

At some point, that's going to be one of the key factors that drives me to a state with more public hunting land.
    Virginia has lots of public hunting lands. West of Fairfax is Thompson WMA, which is loaded with bear, deer, turkey, and squirrel. There are several other WMAs within an hour or so of Fairfax. The GWNF isn't much further.

Hunting pressure can be moderately high on weekends, deer opening day, and deer either sex days. Weekdays and black bear season tends to be light. If you go deep into the woods, the hunting traffic drops off to nothing.

Maybe a NoVA-PF day hike at Thompson is in order?

These are critter pics I took at Thompson with my game camera (except for the print, I took that with my phone, the cartridge is a 308win):
    Name:  deer1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  deer2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  bear_print.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  bears.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  98.2 KB

I have a lot of bear pics from that season. One of those two chewed up one of my cameras.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 06-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Virginia has lots of public hunting lands. West of Fairfax is Thompson WMA, which is loaded with bear, deer, turkey, and squirrel. There are several other WMAs within an hour or so of Fairfax. The GWNF isn't much further.

Hunting pressure can be moderately high on weekends, deer opening day, and deer either sex days. Weekdays and black bear season tends to be light. If you go deep into the woods, the hunting traffic drops off to nothing.
    I should have phrased my point a bit more specifically so as to reveal my geographical bias/laziness - Virginia does have a lot of public hunting land, just not much of it is reasonably accessible from nova unless you want to drive quite a ways which adds up with multiple scouting trips, etc.

Thompson WMA is certainly an exception to that, but I had always operated under the apparently mistaken assumption from some friends that it was super over-crowded, particularly at any point after muzzleloader season opens. Perhaps they just had bad timing on the weekend that colored their experience. I usually like to go deep and away from the roads wherever I hunt, so if that works in Thompson on the weekdays, I'm all about it.

GWNF is impressively large, but the closest spot on the east side of 81 is still a good hour plus given its out past Front Royal. Also, isn't that into the CWD quarantine zone?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Maybe a NoVA-PF day hike at Thompson is in order?
    Sounds good to me!

Site Supporter
    I should have phrased my point a bit more specifically so as to reveal my geographical bias/laziness - Virginia does have a lot of public hunting land, just not much of it is reasonably accessible from nova unless you want to drive quite a ways which adds up with multiple scouting trips, etc.
    True. Unfortunately, getting any closer means urban archery type stuff or lucking out and getting access to some of the remaining farms on the edges of what we call NovA (like LL did). Since I'm in Manassas, Thompson is only about 45min from my house. I can't get to Fair Oaks Mall from my house much faster.

Thompson WMA is certainly an exception to that, but I had always operated under the apparently mistaken assumption from some friends that it was super over-crowded, particularly at any point after muzzleloader season opens. Perhaps they just had bad timing on the weekend that colored their experience. I usually like to go deep and away from the roads wherever I hunt, so if that works in Thompson on the weekdays, I'm all about it.
    During the week you practically have the WMA to yourself. Weekends are busy at first, but as the season drags on it's quiet except for the final doe day, which is also the last day of the season. If you're willing to trek deep, you can be alone even on doe days. The nice thing about Thompson is you can hunt big game from early Nov to early Jan if you're into black powder and regular guns. If you're an archer, that stretches into Oct (or is it Sept?). There's even an early bear season for 3 days in early Oct.

GWNF is impressively large, but the closest spot on the east side of 81 is still a good hour plus given its out past Front Royal. Also, isn't that into the CWD quarantine zone?
    It's not that far. You can hit Vance's Cove (valley between Little North Mtn, aka the VA/WV border, and Paddy Mtn) in well under an hour. It's about 25 miles from Front Royal (I66 to I81, exit 296 onto Rt55, head toward WV for 15 miles, turn left onto Paddy Run Road...do you think I've been there a few times? ).

As for CWD, yes, it's in the quarantine zone. Actually, I've given up deer hunting in VA as a result of CWD. It may or may not be a risk, but I'm not chancing it. I'm going to focus on bear from now on. I'd rather shoot a bear than another deer anyway, so this will remove a "distraction".

Sounds good to me!
    Cool. Let's pick a weekend or even week day (I work mostly in the morning and can be out by 2pm most days). That goes for anyone who is interested.

Chris

We hunt them over calls out here in NorCal. Try to place the call in draw or valley. Pairing rifles or rifle & shotgun.

Oils and Lotions SME
    They like to run treelines up here in WPA. They will skirt the field and send a scout in to check things out if the call is in the middle of the field. Building a low blind to hide movement is a pretty good practice.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

So, scanning for reflections from eyes with the DBAL's IR spotlight on the rifle gets heavy and is a bit awkward. Handheld IR light or helmet mounted?
    #RESIST

I'm still messing around with my setup, but I have a Luna EILR 3 that I'm going to try to use hand held next time I get out. It's pretty wicked powerful with the filter taken off (not eye safe) but the beam is ajustable from a point to a flood. I got it primarily so I can use it down the road with a PVS 30 when I eventually get one

I don't think I'd do a helmet mount for anything other than a relatively dim IR light for admin tasks. I like to go out with a partner and it's super easy to forget to turn your IR light off looking at them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The 42 acre spot is looking...fruitful
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So, scanning for reflections from eyes with the DBAL's IR spotlight on the rifle gets heavy and is a bit awkward. Handheld IR light or helmet mounted?
    Day is easier than night. Early or late, but I have seen them middle of day. Sit in front of a tree, in downed limbs, break up your outline. Over the head camo, camo gloves. Partner makes it easier, one calls and other watches. Sit 10-20 yards apart.

User Tag List