Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast coyote hunting newbie

East Coast coyote hunting newbie

I’ve shot coyotes in Wyoming, but not out here. A local angora goat farmer is having issues with coyotes. Her property is plenty big enough for me to shoot safely on. I’m using my KAC SR30 with Hornady 110gr HPs, a DBAL D2 laser, and my PVS7s.

So, I impulse bought this call. Should I try it out or return it? Going hunting tonight, gonna set up along a known trail. Any east coast coyote hunting tips are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’ve shot coyotes in Wyoming, but not out here. A local angora goat farmer is having issues with coyotes. Her property is plenty big enough for me to shoot safely on. I’m using my KAC SR30 with Hornady 110gr HPs, a DBAL D2 laser, and my PVS7s.

So, I impulse bought this call. Should I try it out or return it? Going hunting tonight, gonna set up along a known trail. Any east coast coyote hunting tips are welcome.
    Love that set-up, amigo.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It was many moons ago, but the two guys (father and son team) that would come hunt coyotes on our place would use a tape deck playing injured rabbit sounds. The yotes would arrive with a quickness, and then be dispatched with a suppressed .22-250.

That was back in the late 1960's to early 1970's. I am wondering if you could download those sounds and play them over a small Bluetooth speaker?

On the job now, waiting for it to get dark. Just had a doe and fawn within 20 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

My only advice for the east coast is that people are not great about respecting property lines in wooded areas. I'd be sure to setup with an intentional backstop over "a lot of woods" if I had any choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    My only advice for the east coast is that people are not great about respecting property lines in wooded areas. I'd be sure to setup with an intentional backstop over "a lot of woods" if I had any choice.
    300 acres seems good
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Learn how to use a predator call and don't be surprised when a black bear shows up.

Check the regs, I'm not 100% sure if electronic calls are legal for Coyote. I know they're not for Turkey. I've made a few halfhearted tries while bear hunting (have a mouse squeaker, fawn bleat, jackrabbit, and cottontail rabbit).

Chris

One of the tricks that worked good for me in Upstate NY was using an old squeaker from a dog chew toy. On more than one occasion fox would come right up on me and fast. Yote's on the other hand like to play Cowboy and Indian's they will come to within approximately 25/30 yards and start to circle you until they can identify the noise and bolt, or get some lead poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Learn how to use a predator call and don't be surprised when a black bear shows up.

Check the regs, I'm not 100% sure if electronic calls are legal for Coyote. I know they're not for Turkey. I've made a few halfhearted tries while bear hunting (have a mouse squeaker, fawn bleat, jackrabbit, and cottontail rabbit).

Chris
    Yeah, there’s definitely bears in this area of Nokesville.
    #RESIST

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ Has tons of information on this.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List