Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mueller rides off into the sunset

Site Supporter
    The Supreme Court took out the sodomy laws. No worries about that. Maybe Pence still cares, but the vast percentage of the country doesn't it.

It was in the Uniform Code of Military Justice that even a married couple having oral or anal sex could lead to a court martial.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I guess congress will have to decide if there was a violation of any obstruction statute. I don't think she gets to vote, not being in congress and all that. Trolling for a federal judge appointment maybe?

No worries, Trump should be able to handle the congressional probe.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-02-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    What is the probable cause for demanding the tax returns? Show me the alleged crime for which Trump's tax returns are necessary evidence. Of course, were there probable cause, actual investigators would already have *all* of his financial records directly from the various sources. I'm growing weary of these witch hunt tactics. If he does lose this in the courts, I seriously doubt if there will be any kind of bombshell information. What it will be is another nail in the coffin for individual liberty and the Bill of Rights.

He assumed the public servant office in 2017. I have no problem with his 2017-2018 tax returns being on the public record, as long as all tax returns for every year in office for all elected/appointed public servants go on the public record.
    Right - everyone who runs for president has to decide they are okay with having every detail of their life exposed publicly?

I was interested at the time in what Bill Clinton’s medical records would show - treatment for various doses of various strains of the clap would have cast Hillary’s assertion regarding the vast right wing conspiracy in a slightly different light.

I was interested in Obama’s academic records and the admissions records at the institutions he attended. What were the SAT scores of the most brilliant man ever to hold the office - so much more brilliant than W who could speak Spanish fluently and fly jet planes? Better than W’s? Worse? About the same? How did an indifferent and invisible student at Occidental College get into Columbia? How did an indifferent and invisible student at Columbia get into Harvard Law School? What were his grades at HLS? What was the basis for his Harvard Law Review selection?

Trump - what would we learn that we don’t already know or suspect? He had and/or sought business interests in Russia and a bunch of other countries - check. He received millions of dollars in speaking fees and donations to his foundation from Russian interests - check. (ETA - Wait, never mind, that was Hillary.) He paid the absolute minimum amount in taxes allowed by law (like Bernie Sanders) - check. He may or may not have been generous with charitable donations (although Joe Biden’s 2% and Bernie Sanders’s 1% set a low bar)?

Does anyone seriously believe that people who don’t care all that much for Trump’s personality and character but who recoil at the thought of one of the D candidates becoming president are going to refrain from voting for Trump because of what might be in his tax returns? As opposed to perhaps pinching their nose with a little more force while pulling the lever (or checking the box on the touchscreen) for Trump?

The tax returns I'd really like to see are not so much those of wealthy people who subsequently go into politics, but people who have gone into politics and subsequently become wealthy on a legislator's salary. E.g., Harry Reid. But, as noted above, unless there is probable cause . . .
    Last edited by Kanye Wyoming; 06-02-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    What were the SAT scores of the most brilliant man ever to hold the office - so much more brilliant than W who could speak Spanish fluently and fly jet planes? Better than W’s?
    IIRC, Bush and Gore :

http://www.insidepolitics.org/heard/heard32300.html

Bush at Yale

SAT Verbal Score
    566 (of 800)

625 (of 800)
    SAT Math Score

Gore 625, 730.

Not that impressive. I had students with 800, 800s. High 790s verbal and math on the GREs also.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My tax returns were audited during my career as a condition of my employment (and security clearances) with the federal government. Audits are not predicated upon probable cause of wrongdoing.

There is nothing wrong with any federal employee or official having to be subject to audit...random or otherwise, like any other citizen, or conditional upon their employment and security clearances.

Folks from many walks of life are subject to such audits to prove they are living within their means, don't make their living from ill gotten gains nor present a security risk. Mueller probe or not, nobody in gov't should be immune.

Random drug tests are not administered due to probable cause. Otherwise they would not be "random". Audits are similar.

ETA: This has nothing to do with the Mueller report or any other internecine political infighting.
    And if you were a shady character you probably would have never applied for the job knowing full well that any look into your background would disqualify you.

Apparently that isn't the case with presidential candidates.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-02-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    IIRC, Bush and Gore :

Bush at Yale

SAT Verbal Score
    566 (of 800)

625 (of 800)
    SAT Math Score

Gore 625, 730.

Not that impressive. I had students with 800, 800s. High 790s verbal and math on the GREs also.
    SAT scores are no particular indicator of brilliance. (My scores were marginally better than Gore's, but I still think that it is only one piece of the pie. Or one portion of the lock box in Gore parlance. )

There are brilliant minds with great SAT scores...there are brilliant minds without.

(The old U.S. gov't PACE test for employment was a way harder challenge than the SAT's, imho.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    What the scores mean in real world performance is a great debate. I beat both of them but my candidacy never got started. I do say that the 790 to 800 range kids were very impressive and did great work for me. Were their scores related to that? Like I said, they could do math and read pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I doubt any of those guys you know would campaign for POTUS. Trump made a lot of money and I see a lot of his supporters holding that up as a virtue.

Jordon Belfort made a lot of money also. I guess everyone has their own way of measuring a person's character.

I personally know a guy who's a millionaire. I was at his house yesterday to attend a party for a relative. I'm pretty sure he's given more money to charitable causes than Trump and doesn't have nearly the 10 billion dollars that Trump claims he has. I don't know him as a friend but I know the business he's in and have friends who have done business with him. I also know his wife pretty well because she's a relative.

I'm thinking Trump doesn't want people looking at his financials because his net worth is way short of the 10 billion he claimed he had.
    You and I think and perceive things exactly the opposite way. Literally.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    IIRC, Bush and Gore :

Bush at Yale

SAT Verbal Score
    566 (of 800)

625 (of 800)
    SAT Math Score

Gore 625, 730.

Only about 300 people (.02%) every year get a perfect score of 1600. Many of these perfect scores come from top college prep programs. Unless you are teaching for a long time at a top HS, it’s a little odd to have multiple students banging out 800s.

1191 (Bush) back in the ‘70s was respectable and would get you into many good schools back then provided that the grades matched. 1355 (Gore) was a great score in the top 5% of takers back then and would get you into many top 20 universities if the rest of the record was of similar quality.

The real issue is that Bush’s 1191 would not have gotten him into Yale and his performance at Yale would not have gotten him into the Harvard Business School if it were not for his dad and grandfather. For that matter, Trump would not have gotten into the Wharton School if it were not for his dad. However, Americans love celebrity and royalty.

Oh, my SAT score was slightly lower than Bush’s (1175) yet I seem to have turned out OK.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You and I think and perceive things exactly the opposite way. Literally.
    So he can't hang out?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List