Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Mueller rides off into the sunset

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Why did a Republican not ask Mueller how a President can reasonably be accused of obstruction of justice by exercising his Article II Constitutional powers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because that would have been insanely stupid. Then whole point of a slew of crimes are related to using your legal powers for illegal ends or reasons: bribery for example.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Because that would have been insanely stupid. Then whole point of a slew of crimes are related to using your legal powers for illegal ends or reasons: bribery for example.
    Bribery is the act of taking a payment to do something, not merely doing something within one’s constitutional powers.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Name:  IMG_1738.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  53.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Bribery is the act of taking a payment to do something, not merely doing something within one’s constitutional powers.

But the intent behind why he did it would be the illegal act.

If I am the mayor of Derpville, and I fire the police chief for investigating if I spray painted "Derpville sucks" on the side of city hall, while it is legal to fire the police chief, if it may be illegal because it was intended to keep my crime from being discovered.

Site Supporter
    Does any old fart remember an episode of Leave it to Beaver where he has to read the Three Musketeers and instead goes to see the Three Stooges movie based on the story but done in stooge style. Classroom hilarity follows.

About the hearing, all it proved is that both parties have the lowest denominator of intellect and integrity to serve in elected office in recent times. I'm sure Doris Kearns Goodwin will appear on some talk show to tell us that during the Presidency Bulford Dumpfunkle, it was worse. However, this looks pretty crappy to my 72 years - and I've seen Nixon in action.

When each tribe claims triumph, America dies a little bit more.

Site Supporter
    Jesus the impeachment garbage won’t quit. These people are fucking clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does any old fart remember an episode of Leave it to Beaver where he has to read the Three Musketeers and instead goes to see the Three Stooges movie based on the story but done in stooge style. Classroom hilarity follows.

About the hearing, all it proved is that both parties have the lowest denominator of intellect and integrity to serve in elected office in recent times. I'm sure Doris Kearns Goodwin will appear on some talk show to tell us that during the Presidency Bulford Dumpfunkle, it was worse. However, this looks pretty crappy to my 72 years - and I've seen Nixon in action.

When each tribe claims triumph, America dies a little bit more.
    It's not equal, not at all. One "tribe" has a bombastic and outspoken leader. The other "tribe" used state intelligence organs to ruin peoples lives for political gain. There's no equating the two.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    But the intent behind why he did it would be the illegal act.

If I am the mayor of Derpville, and I fire the police chief for investigating if I spray painted "Derpville sucks" on the side of city hall, while it is legal to fire the police chief, if it may be illegal because it was intended to keep my crime from being discovered.
    What if the police chief is claiming he got fired to prevent him from investigating the mayor, and the mayor is claiming he fired the police chief for the police chief's own crimes, or because the police chief is misusing his power for political purposes?

One reason Barr and Rosenstein found no obstruction is the fact that there was no underlying crime. There was no collusion found. Keep in mind that collusion is not a crime. Conspiracy is a crime, but requires more than just collusion. Mueller couldn't even find collusion.

In this case, Trump could have been motivated to protect himself, and could have been motivated to prevent a complete waste of tens of millions of dollars on a politically motivated investigation. Regardless, he has to have the ability to oversee the operation of the Executive Branch of government without fear of politically motivated accusations of crimes.

How do we know which was the bigger motivation? We can't. However, the danger of politically motivated misuse of the criminal justice system was well understood by the authors of the Constitution, which is why they made the President and members of Congres (when in session) s immune from arrest. If power is being abused, the solution is removal of the person abusing power from office followed by any needed criminal charges.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 07-25-2019 at 01:35 PM.

The whole thing was just GROSS. I'm still trying to decide if Mueller was using some SERE skills to avoid and deflect answering the q's from the repub's, or if he has really slipped that much. The one thing that was really clear was the change in cadence. When the repub's were asking, he did a great job of burning the clock with his rambling and "mush mouth". The Dem's on the other hand, put the spotlight on the question, not the answer, which was pretty much one word responses. Well played by them.

The only crime I saw yesterday was "Senior Abuse". I wish they hadn't done that.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Trump could have fired Mueller and that wouldn't have been obstruction because the investigation would still continue. The plus might have been that with an unbiased, capable new leader, Mueller's agenda driven subordinates wouldn't have run the investigation unfettered.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List