Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NY homeowner jailed for illegal handgun after shooting 2 home invaders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You'd get the same treatment in Texas if you shot someone and were illegally carrying the gun.
    I can't speak for the entire state of Indiana, but at least locally the prosecutor seldom files on this sort of thing, absent some other factors like a grow operation in the basement or something. The argument is multi-faceted, but really boils down to "juries don't like it" combined with a bit of a loose reading of necessity defense.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Deleted......
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-29-2019 at 11:10 AM.

That's also an issue of carrying illegally.

You'd get the same treatment in Texas if you shot someone and were illegally carrying the gun.
    I doubt that a DA in Texas would bring charges and if it did go to trial, I doubt a Texas jury would convict. If the shooting is justified, the shooting is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's probably wrong too. The press has a blanket assumption that handguns must be registered everywhere. My state has zero firearms registration and more than once I've heard the local news refer to registered/unregistered firearms.

I could easily be wrong but a quick search of the NYSP website and handgunlaw.us doesn't show a requirement to register handguns with anyone (all bets are off in NYC tho). What is clear is that no one can possess a handgun in NY state without a pistol license.

I'm about 99% sure that he's being jacked up for never getting a NY pistol license.
    You are correct. However, people use the term licensing and registration interchangeably with respect to NY because NY licenses are specific to the particular handgun.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

NY homeowner jailed for illegal handgun after shooting 2 home invaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rick62; 05-29-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Deleted - already addressed by other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    I doubt that a DA in Texas would bring charges and if it did go to trial, I doubt a Texas jury would convict. If the shooting is justified, the shooting is justified.
    We're not discussing a shooting here.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We're not discussing a shooting here.
    I think he meant that if the shooting was justified, the legality of the weapon used would not matter to jurists.

I’d have to look it up to be sure, but I believe here in GA if a shooting is justified the lack of a GWCL where one would be required means dick. As it should.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 05-29-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

At least both of the shitbags didn't live to sue him.

If he is an otherwise upstanding guy I hope he comes out of this ok.

Sad to see that it came to this, but I hope the good guy comes out OK.

And major kudos for dropping both burglars. I’d like to see the details from this one.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    At least both of the shitbags didn't live to sue him.
    I’m sure their families will take up that mantle, if the tort attorneys feel it’s worthwhile.

Insofar as the gun goes, I’m not going to comment. Each case has its details and background context only rarely communicated by the press. Many an IL “home invasion” shooting boiled down to a botched drug heist where the dealer/target came out on top.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List