Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NY homeowner jailed for illegal handgun after shooting 2 home invaders

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just to be clear, he wasn't arrested for defending himself in his own home regardless of the instrument.

He was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm.

Two separate issues.

Right.......he could've been a prohibited person, or it be a stolen gun that he copped to, or maybe it is as LL is speculating.

Keep in mind this was way upstate, not in NYC.

Outside of a few urban areas, most of NY state is relatively sane with LEOs that openly opposed and even in some cases refused to enforce the SAFE Act. I can't remember which end of the scale Oneida leans towards. NYC and most of upstate NY is a "night and day" culture difference.

Updated article indicates that it was an unregistered handgun that the homeowner’s father had owned. The homeowner forgot to register it. This is why I don’t live or set foot in NY.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-29-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Would be nice if the reporting included what exactly was "illegal" about the homeowners possession of the gun. Quite a glaring hole in the reporting.
    Shocking, considering most news outlets seem to enjoy “filling in the blanks” with trending firearm hot buttons to drive viewership.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Updated article indicates that it was an unregistered handgun that the homeowner’s father had owned. The homeowner forgot to register it. This is why I don’t live or set foot in NY.
    I look forward to the SCOTUS ruling. NY will drop the charges if they're smart.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    It's only strange if you think it's strange that the police arrest people for not following a state's firearm possession laws. Whether you, I, or anyone else agrees with those laws is not relevant.
    I find it strange that you would think that I would find it strange that someone would be arrested for shooting an intruder in their home.

I saw a UFO one time. I thought that was strange also. Of course it wasn't relevant that I thought it was strange but I thought it was strange nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I find it strange that you would think that I would find it strange that someone would be arrested for shooting an intruder in their home.

I saw a UFO one time. I thought that was strange also. Of course it wasn't relevant that I thought it was strange but I thought it was strange nonetheless.
    As @TGS already pointed out, that's not what he was arrested for.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Except he wasn't arrested for that.

I seem to remember a man shot a punk or 2 attacking him with a screwdriver in a subway in NY. He went to jail for an unlicensed gun.

Right or wrong makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    I seem to remember a man shot a punk or 2 attacking him with a screwdriver in a subway in NY. He went to jail for an unlicensed gun.

Right or wrong makes no difference.
    That's also an issue of carrying illegally.

You'd get the same treatment in Texas if you shot someone and were illegally carrying the gun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There are several issues being conflated here which shouldn't be. (At least not as it regards the present (specific) case and the situation this defendant finds himself facing.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Updated article indicates that it was an unregistered handgun that the homeowner’s father had owned. The homeowner forgot to register it.
    That's probably wrong too. The press has a blanket assumption that handguns must be registered everywhere. My state has zero firearms registration and more than once I've heard the local news refer to registered/unregistered firearms.

I could easily be wrong but a quick search of the NYSP website and handgunlaw.us doesn't show a requirement to register handguns with anyone (all bets are off in NYC tho). What is clear is that no one can possess a handgun in NY state without a pistol license.

I'm about 99% sure that he's being jacked up for never getting a NY pistol license.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-29-2019 at 10:54 AM.

User Tag List